Towing with a LR3 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Towing with a LR3

I am looking to get an LR3 but I need to know 2 things before I can commit to one. First, do the LR3's come standard with a receiver so I can tow my 21 foot boat? And second, does anyone know the towing capacity? I have read its about 6000ibs. Thanks
jbstephenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default 21 ft boat or yacht?

If it is a 21 ft fly fishing runabout, then no problem; if it is a 21 ft inboard outboard with a galley and flying bridge like the one the Chev 2500 tows on that TV ad, well that will be a problem.

Below is a link to some hitch related files I have compiled.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - NAS Trailer Socket Pin ID and Wire Colours

Your 3 may already have tow wiring installed but the wiring was not standard equipment. The proper wiring setup matters as the factory wiring allows the 3 to sense that a trailer is connected and invokes limitations on air suspension movement and other things.

As to the hitch, Curt makes a bolt on variety and Land Rover has a lock in to a slot type. If you are buying one of these, purchase the newer shorter LR4 variety.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
tlt

You never cease to amaze me with your wealth of useful information and help. I can't wait until you come this way, or me yours so I can meet you.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstephenson View Post
I am looking to get an LR3 but I need to know 2 things before I can commit to one. First, do the LR3's come standard with a receiver so I can tow my 21 foot boat? And second, does anyone know the towing capacity? I have read its about 6000ibs. Thanks
The receiver is not OEM standard. It is aftermarket purchase and list is around $500, but you can find them on eBay for $350 and up.

Wiring harness from Atlantic British is $129 and is a DIY project if you have the time, beer and patience to get the plug into the space, and can thread the harness properly.

A 21' boat of any kind will be easily towable with an LR3, and will actually increase in value when linked to your truck.
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
lwg

The LR3 tows great. The only real limitation is the wheelbase, otherwise it's got plenty of power and brakes. The max towing capacity is 7700 lbs, but you'll likely want to stay south of that a bit as that starts to get very heavy. The real limitation is that you only have about 1,000 lbs to play with in regards to people, luggage, etc AND hitch weight. This to me is the biggest limiting factor.

I went with the Curt bolt on hitch as I just don't trust the OEM one. But that's just my opinion.
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I never understood why someone would get the Curt unit when the factory LR unit is integrated into the truck, etc. Everytime I see the Curt unit I just laugh...really?

So, original poster...do yourself a favor and just get the factory receiver and factory lighting setup. It's the way to go. No need to hack it.
bjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default probably the newer shorter one is better

Below is a link to re what was mostly likely an isolated problem with the older longer style plough hitch on a D3 in Australia.

Broken Disco 3 Tow Bar - Australian Land Rover Owners

The general feeling was that the hitch was most likely used as a recovery point rather than solely as a towing point; also trailer safety chains have some merit as all ended well.

The sort of brown coloured jpg is from a Prado demonstrating a similar concern. I suspect I could find a Curt looking about the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Towing with a LR3-d3-hitch-broken-img_0208.jpg   Towing with a LR3-prado-broken-tow-receiver.jpg  
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwhite View Post
I never understood why someone would get the Curt unit when the factory LR unit is integrated into the truck, etc. Everytime I see the Curt unit I just laugh...really?

So, original poster...do yourself a favor and just get the factory receiver and factory lighting setup. It's the way to go. No need to hack it.

The Curt hitch doesn't hang as low as the factory hitch. And to be honest provides a little protection when offroading as I have the full size spare.

I regularly use my bike rack on my LR3 which mounts to the hitch.
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
tlt

Isn't the nickname for the LR OE hitch "the plow" that should explain among other reasons why folks look for an alternative. Just because you don't agree is not a reason to start a bash session, you can use what you choose. Given the choice and budget, it would be Mitch Hitch or like it for me.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have an LR3 05 SE with Factory hitch and I'm able to tow 24 ft camper ~ 5000lbs with no problems, put it in low gear when driving slow ie. backing up. I bought the car just for this feature and I can load the car up with 7 people.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ive towed my D2 with my D3 thousands of miles with no problem.

Lucky8's Project D2: REDUX

erik@lucky8llc.com
716-898-8153 M-F 9am-5pm
WNYDisco3Erik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.