Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Towing Wiring?

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Stephen9 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm new in this forum and just bought a Discovery 3 TDV6 2,7 2007 and need to connect the wiring for the tow bar.

I have read through the forum and found some information but it was not similar to my car.

Can anyone help me identify the different wires, I have already identified few of them with my light checker but need help with the others.

Connector with 6 wires:
Brown= Tail light
Green/Brown= Brake light
Other Green/Brown=Reverse
Red/Yellow= Fog light
Blue=??????????
Other Red/yellow=???????

Connector with 3 wires:
Yellow= Left Turn light
Green= Right Turn light
Green/Brown= ?????????? Power is always ON so I guess its Power supply for a fridge or something.

I have attached pictures.

Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks Redtruck,

Something in my head tells me it’s wrong to pay 145usd for some wires and it’s not even the original part.

I got the connector and cables for 10usd and a light checker for 4usd and now I just need to identify the last 3 wires then I will hook it up.

I'm a cheap bastard what can I say :)

#7 ·
I guys. Bought my 2009 LR3 a few months ago and now I'm about to travel with a trailer. Was looking to go as original as I can but, as you said, 150 bucks for a cable and connector it's not worth. Can you tell me where you've bought the connector that matches the one in the car
??

#4 ·
Here is a few pictures of the installation, took about 1hour and I'm slow.

Have tried all the connections with the light tester and it was all okay but my trailer is parked in a different place so I haven’t hooked it up to the trailer yet I´ll get back with an update once I have tried it on the trailer.

I got the Original tow bar for 370usd and all the rest for 20usd :)

Attachments

#5 ·
Your wiring scheme doesn't quite match up with my wiring diagram for NAS vehicles, but my best guess is as follows:

Connector with 6 wires:

Basically, the following wires should make up this bundle: Electric Brake, Ignition, Reverse, Tail Lights, LH Turn Signal/Stop Light, RH Turn Signal/Stop Light and then there is a ground pin at the socket which is probably grounded elsewhere on the chassis.

Brown= Tail Lights
Green/Brown= Probably RH Turn Signal and Stop Light?
Other Green/Brown= Reverse
Red/Yellow= Probably LH Turn Signal and Stop Light?
Blue= Used for Electric Braking (goes to brake module in LR3)
Other Red/yellow=Probably Ignition

Connector with 3 wires:
Yellow= Left Turn Signal & Stop Light
Green= Right Turn Signal & Stop Light
Green/Brown= Tail Light

Hope that will at least give you an idea. Please don't take it as 100% correct since, like I said, your wire colors don't match up to my diagram. Please post back when you figure it out though. :)

#6 ·
Hi,

I'm new in this forum and just bought a Discovery 3 TDV6 2,7 2007 and need to connect the wiring for the tow bar.

I have read through the forum and found some information but it was not similar to my car.

Can anyone help me identify the different wires, I have already identified few of them with my light checker but need help with the others.

Connector with 6 wires:
Brown= Tail light
Green/Brown= Brake light
Other Green/Brown=Reverse
Red/Yellow= Fog light
Blue=??????????
Other Red/yellow=???????

Connector with 3 wires:
Yellow= Left Turn light
Green= Right Turn light
Green/Brown= ?????????? Power is always ON so I guess its Power supply for a fridge or something.

I have attached pictures.

Thank you.
Hi

did you get the wire correct to complete this?? I’m about to do this same job and hit this problem too

many thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.