Went to Boston for work and somehow I ended up with another rover - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Went to Boston for work and somehow I ended up with another rover

I ended up in Buffalo picking up a 07 LR3 SE.

The owner was kind enough to drop it off at Lucky 8 world head quarters for me. So Justin and crew could give it a good once over for me. In case you didn't know they are doing a small amount of work on Rovers now as well.

So it is a Rover and had a few issues but nothing to horrible. So some new brakes on the back and a quick service and she was ready for the road.

So I picked up a few parts for future work and the gap tool paid my tab (extremely reasonable rates for labor and parts as always) and hit the road South.

I really appreciate everything Lucky8 did for me including coming in when he Justin, was supposed to be off to go over the truck with me and do the hand off. Even got a new Lucky8 t-shirt to. Absolutely great customer service and a awesome crew of people.

So the road trip....

1000 miles in any 10 year old vehicle can be worrisome, even more so in a 10 year old Rover you know. So I smiled my best I have road side assistance smile and climbed in the Rover I had driven 5 miles to this point lol.

The Rover gods smiled, the ride was smooth and controlled the motor purred, trans smooth as silk and the cruise control was flawless. Even the auto pilot...

The miles continued with no events just smooth sailing..

Then suddenly I noticed something..

I was getting close to home....

Then I was there, spent a lot of hours unloading and cleaning the interior....

Then called it a day

Have a radio issue to sort out as it doesn't work(knew that up front) and some minor body damage to sort, but I was home and could sleep in a bed not the front of the LR3

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Have a DII you need a drive shaft click here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Washed it tonight and did a bit more messing with the radio. Need to pull the radio and check to make sure I'm getting power to the head unit.

Also decided that the wheels need more than just cleaning so they will get cleaned sanded painted anthracite gray.

So far my wife loves her new truck

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

So no love on the Radio, I'm going to have to pull it and see if it's getting power. If it is a new radio is in my future. If not I need to pull a kick panel and check some things out.

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Really good looking vehicle. Frankly I like it a lot better than the look of the new ones. Not a fan of the new look; maybe it will grow on me. Good luck with it.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Drives like an old man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed. Maybe I'm just old, but the boxy look has always looked right to me. First my two Cherokees and now my DII. Someday I'll get a D4 because it's the latest model I like. You know, once I get bored fixing the DII problems, I'll be up for a whole new set.

2004 Disco II, bone stock, daily driver (gasp!)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Not same issues as in the D2. LR3's are reliable. Small few have issues with air suspension. Change the diff fluid make sure the bearings are not making any noise. Radio can also be from a water leak. Check the cowl over the pollen filter that is not warped and letting water in. Also that the battery drain is connected and not draining acid onto the wires by the fire wall. Check for water getting in through A/B pillars or sunroof drains. The radio connection issue can also be under the drivers seat.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

2005 LR3/ SE 4.4 Fancy Professor (my girl's LR3)
2005 LR3/Disco3 SE 4.4 The Rhino
(mine)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255 55 19"

1999 LR Disco II SD 200,900 miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Turtle'
1988 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Rust Bucket'
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Under the drivers seat? Got anymore on that Dave?

I found the cowl is bowed and letting water in so I am getting that solved and then checking out the wiring for corrosion. Also ordered up some new sunroof drain tubes from Lucky8 so I am prepared for those to.

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Oh and thanks everyone for the compliments. It is a really nice looking and riding Rover. Way better in every way, than previous generations. I am actually jealous that it's my wifes lol.

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:26 PM

Army,
try a hard-rest
It's simple - turn car off and wait for it to go to sleep ( at least 2 mins), disconnect the negative lead, disconnect the positive lead, short both the negative and positive leads together with a decent spanner or similar.

DO NOT SHORT the battery terminals, only short the leads.

Hold short in place for at least 30 secs, then reconnect the battery and proceed as normal.

WiKi link here Hard Reset - DISCO3.CO.UK Knowledge Base

or you need a new amp the HK amp under the driver's seat.

Make sure that the cowl is fully flushed against the windshield (must say the cowl's for the LR3's & RRS are crap) better to bead them against the windshield. take care of any leaks asap.
Also replace the coolant t-pipe those tend to crack and go.
LR3's are great trucks possibly the best LR had build. The 4.4 jag V8 is bullet proof.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

(mine)

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

I did the fuse checks, and tried the hard reset and the radio still doesn't power on.

Been trying to get a minute to find the wiring diagram, and check to make sure power is present at the radio. Either option is expensive just don't want to buy things I don't need.

Can the Amp cause the radio to not power on?

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I did the fuse checks, and tried the hard reset and the radio still doesn't power on.

Been trying to get a minute to find the wiring diagram, and check to make sure power is present at the radio. Either option is expensive just don't want to buy things I don't need.

Can the Amp cause the radio to not power on?

Don't know...
Is the digital clock on the radio working? (I imagine not)
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

(mine)

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

No clock nothing powers on.

Didn't get a chance to mess with the radio today. Only had a chance to pop some new wipers on it.

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:01 PM

Then possibly behind the radio unit. I guess you can also replace it with something more modern if you wanted to, but the radios on the LR3's are good.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

(mine)

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Not sure about going aftermarket it seems like a lot of stuff routes through that radio on these trucks. Plus it's my wife's truck and she thinks her Iphone 5 is the pinnacle of technology

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Rover-Holic and Admin

Forgot I washed it for her to lol

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.