Wheel Bearing Problems - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Wheel Bearing Problems

I just had 4 new tires put on my LR3 and I find it strange that both the front right & left wheel bearings are broken and need to be replaced. Could the shop who put on the new tires have done something to break them? I just find that a major coincidence. WE had no noise going into getting the new tires. The first sounds we noticed were the night we drove home from getting the tires replaced. The 2nd when we got it home from fixing the first wheel bearing... the noise was still there so the mechanic found that the other side was broken too! Help.
beth1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd just say bad luck...or good luck - depending on how you look at it. The bearings are well protected in the hub. You REALLY have to go out of your way to damage them by a tire shop. It involves removal of the rotors and multiple high torque bolts. A casual smack of a tool will have no effect on the bearings or housing. The good luck side is your brand new tires will wear appropriately. With the bad bearings, tire cupping can happen fast! Junk a set in 3k or less.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Yes, probably just luck.

I have been reading on the various forums more and more about owners just out of the blue, (or more correctly, while on holiday), needing new front wheel bearings.

Fortunately, the setup is not too much different than what Ford uses so a Ford dealer can replace them without too much fuss.

There also does not seem to be any real warning either - all of a sudden you have a problem with a front wheel, noise and the like.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former LR tech, Albany NY

actually the tire dealer should have properly looked at the vehicle for any issues. Most commonly places like Sears and goodyear only put on tires and ignore everything else unless you ask for it.

Usually when the vehicle gets really rusted out and the rotors get rusted on after smacking them off a few months down the road the wheel bearings go. Really common on hub and bearing assembly vehicles. Both D2,RRS,LR3 all have the issue.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Link to illustrated pdf on how to change hubs.

I just found the link below to a 10 page pdf by disco_steve on disco3 showing how to change out the hubs. The pdf is very well done and very timely.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...eplacement.pdf
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former LR tech, Albany NY

removing hubs are the same thing on any vehicle.

trust me.

the only problem is the rust and whether or not you have air hammer. if you don't do yourself and your family a favour and invest in one. You will find jobs go quicker and you can fill up the vehicles tires every morning. Plus you can use alot more tools for a quicker time then if you don't.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but the guide mentioned in the thread is about to be a life saver. I am gathering parts and tools for the trip to fix our LR3 on the edge of civilization.

Last weekend, Mrs Noname was driving home at 10 p.m., when she stopped halfway for a burger, when she realized, after 200 miles on the 75 mph interstate, that the wheel bearing was gone. Couldn't even drive across the road to the hotel to wait. Geico roadside assistance arranged to tow the LR3 (and brought her) back to Dallas, arriving at 4 a.m. Dealer took a day and a half, and charged $850 for one bearing.

Today, a week later, the other bearing has failed, and she is in a small town 400 miles from an LR dealer (and me.) Thanks to all of you for the help. I'll make the membership upgrade when the parts are on and things slow down.

Thanks again.
nonameisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

One of the wheel bearings in my 07 (75K) failed without prior warning - gave me a heart attack almost as I thought from the clonking the driveshaft had imploded. When they got it on the ramp at my indie LR shop, the wobble on the wheel looked like the lug nuts had been loosened off (they hadn't).

Cost me about $350 to fix one side but decided as both wheels had the same age and given the "no-warning" rule, I had the other side done too. You can get the hubs themselves online for about $150 (Timken) and it's not a difficult job if you have big tools. When the first failed I was only a few hundred yards from home, I didnít want to wait for the second to be a rainy Friday night in the middle of nowhere....
stmcknig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
Dealer took a day and a half, and charged $850 for one bearing..
Ahh looks like they missed a decimal point - it's supposed to be an HOUR and a half labour...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

The dealer here had genuine unit bearings for around $350 IIRC.
It is not uncommon for both bearings to fail at around the same time.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Odds are very high that the genuine unit bearing is the Timken HA500601.
At least Land Rover is getting closer to the $30 price of D1 hub bearings.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Same part #

$172

Discount Auto Parts and Accessories - PartsGeek
Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

I saw it somewhere online for $154. Search for the PN with Google Shopping. Of course with shipping it might be close to $172.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

I had my right front bearing fail without warning in ht e middle of nowwhere. No warning grinding, nothing. Just sudden failure and 1-2" of wheel play.

That was 1 1/2 years ago at 140k kms. Now at 168k kms and I am thinking I should do the other side. Perhaps in the spring when it warms up.

Thanks for the thread revival, now I am getting worried!
ktm_525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default Guess you could order in the bearing.

I suppose you could order in the part so as to at least have it. Just having it with you in the truck should keep a failure at bay. I suppose I should be doing the same as I have yet to replace either side - lots of other front end bits, but not the wheel bearings - yet.

I note that your km and mine are near equal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.