How much lift to clear 35x12.50's? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much lift to clear 35x12.50's?

Howdy,
I'm new to the forum world. I was wondering if anyone new how much lift I need on my 95' Disco, to clear 35x12.50's? I've spent countless hours searching the web, and I haven't found squat. My goal is to run 35's with the smallest amount of lift possible, so as to keep the center of gravity as low as I can. Obviously, I know that I'll need to upgrade my axles, driveshafts, ect... as well as change my gearing, and trim the crap out of my fenders. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I believe a 3" RTE will work with the proper off set to the wheels.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Mike!
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:46 PM

A 3 inch would work but you wouldnt be able to flex at all. I would add in a 1 - 1.5" spacer underneath those 3" coils. That should increase your articulation a little bit.

Oliver

2001 Discovery II - 3" Rovertym/OME lift, 2 KC's, 4 IPF's, modified custom front & rear bumpers, ARB diff-guards, skids.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Reptile Expert

bahahahhaa
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:31 AM

a 3" lift with proper trimming is mroe than enough to clear 35s. keep in mind trimming is necessary. oh yeah, and you'll need to compeltely upgrade the drivetrain. first you will blow the spider gears out, then if and when you upgrade to lockers, you will start breaking the axles and CVs. if you want to run 35s, then you either need to swap in stronger axle housings, or upgrade everything, which will cost you a couple Gs.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, guys. I already know that I'll have to upgrade the drivetrain extensively to run a tire that size. I won't even try running 35's untill those upgrades are done. Also, I'm thinking I'd rather run 35x10.50's, or maybe 11.50's, instead of 12.50's. I've read that narrower tires tuck into the wheel well better, so I'm hoping that will help a little with articulation. Any thaughts on that? Thanks again!
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBauer809 View Post
A 3 inch would work but you wouldnt be able to flex at all. I would add in a 1 - 1.5" spacer underneath those 3" coils. That should increase your articulation a little bit.

no. 3" and get out the sawsall.

if you're getting into 35" tires then you need to know how important center of gravity. the rule that every serious trail truck, rockcrawler, or just plain smart wheelers follow is "low, wide, and big tires". 3" lift will keep your COG right where it needs to be, get wheel with around 4.75" or 4.5" backspacing to keep the tires out of the radius arms (although a litle rubbing isn't a big deal), and carefully trim your fenders to look good, yet be able to stuff your new tires.

i fit 33s on a 2" lift when people said it couldn't be done. i wheel just fine with a little trimming.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Thanks for the info, guys. I already know that I'll have to upgrade the drivetrain extensively to run a tire that size. I won't even try running 35's untill those upgrades are done. Also, I'm thinking I'd rather run 35x10.50's, or maybe 11.50's, instead of 12.50's. I've read that narrower tires tuck into the wheel well better, so I'm hoping that will help a little with articulation. Any thaughts on that? Thanks again!
i like the skinnier tire look, but a wider tire really helps with the footprint and conforming to rocks and tree roots, etc.i would go 11.50 if you can find them, but 35X12.5 is far more common and you should be able to find used tires pretty cheap for when you blow one out wheeling.

i missed it, but if this is a DI or RRC, then get the rovertracks toy conversion. Untitled Document

you will be able to easily run 37s if you decide to later, while HD rover stuff (such as what lucky 8 or GBR sells), then they are only "rated" to 35s.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Go skinny my friend. A wide tyre like a 12.50 will be of no real benefit on the trail with a full bodied Disco. Even 35" is a bit too tall for these trucks but that depends a lot on what you do to fit them. You don't want to lift it sky high so cutting body panels and running a wheel or spacer that pushes the tyre out from the chassis can help a with that..

A 33x10 is a good size for your disco. Anything bigger than that and you will begin to seriously compromise stability, maneuverability, performance and durability for very little gain. In racing it is called the law of diminishing returns.

Everyone makes a big deal about ground clearance and wants to fit the largest tyres they can in an effort to gain a 1" or 2" but how useful will that be to you, how often do you think you will really need it and what will you sacrifice to get it.

First be realistic. A Discovery is a big heavy SUV with a large rear overhang. On the trial or in the rocks maneuverability is far more useful than big tyres. Unless you want to go for a balls out full time dedicated trail rig and bob tail your Disco the extra width and height will be of little use in the real world.

The few situations that you will likely encounter where a 35x12.50 would be advantageous over a 33x10 can usually be overcome by a combination of driver skill, experience and maneuverability. Remember that traction is more often the deciding factor in a loss of progression, not tire size.

Fitting a locker is actually easier on axle components as it reduces shock loads.

Hope this helps.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

Matt.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again. I'm thinking of runing the TSL Bias, Q78-16. The website says it runs just over 10.5" wide. I'm hoping to have the money to do the nessesary driveline up grades, and fit my new tires by the time my 265's run out of tread. But if I don't get that far by the time I need new tires, then I'll probably go with 33's. I agree that in most situations you can overcome just about anything with driver skill. As it is, I already have no trouble keeping up with, and usualy "out wheeling" my buddys. Most of them run 33's, and a couple of them run 35's. I do a little bit of everything, but most of my wheeling is on tight trails, and rock crawling. My main concern about running 35's is articulation, and manuverability . Obviously running a tire that size would be counter-productive if they hit the firewall, or I can't turn the front's when they're stuft. That's why I'm thinking a narrower tire would be better.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverandom View Post
Go skinny my friend. A wide tyre like a 12.50 will be of no real benefit on the trail with a full bodied Disco.
bullshit.
Quote:
Even 35" is a bit too tall for these trucks but that depends a lot on what you do to fit them. You don't want to lift it sky high so cutting body panels and running a wheel or spacer that pushes the tyre out from the chassis can help a with that..
it is not too tall for these trucks at all. you just need to know how to put them on the "right" way, which is keeping COG low, trimming the fenders, and running the correct axle shafts, gearing, and lockers. there is a list to be done, but 35s are not too big at ALL.

Quote:
A 33x10 is a good size for your disco. Anything bigger than that and you will begin to seriously compromise stability, maneuverability, performance and durability for very little gain. In racing it is called the law of diminishing returns.
bullshit, again. you won't compromise stability at all with a 3" lift and 35s. you're going to need to push the tires out, yes, so either spacers, or a wheel with at least an offset or 4.75 or less is in order. once you hit 35s, the trail possibilities grow ten fold. you can go so much further with lockers and 35s than you will with 33s.

Quote:
Everyone makes a big deal about ground clearance and wants to fit the largest tyres they can in an effort to gain a 1" or 2" but how useful will that be to you, how often do you think you will really need it and what will you sacrifice to get it.
it's the difference between getting over that rock or not. crawlers try to gain every single inch they gain while keeping the rig balanced. ever hear of dana 60 swaps? the diff on a D60 hangs down pretty low, making it an anchor in the rocks. however, it's one of the most bullitproof axles out there, so do you know what they do? they shave 1"-2" off the pumpkin just to gain those few inches. it really comes in handy. and extra inch or two of unsprung ground clearance can mean getting over something or not.
Quote:
First be realistic. A Discovery is a big heavy SUV with a large rear overhang. On the trial or in the rocks maneuverability is far more useful than big tyres. Unless you want to go for a balls out full time dedicated trail rig and bob tail your Disco the extra width and height will be of little use in the real world.
so are land cruiser 80 series, but people take those things absolutely EVERYWHERE. all the issues you mention can be gotten around with good driving and the right protection.
Quote:
The few situations that you will likely encounter where a 35x12.50 would be advantageous over a 33x10 can usually be overcome by a combination of driver skill, experience and maneuverability. Remember that traction is more often the deciding factor in a loss of progression, not tire size.
how do you know if he will encounter them or not? all the good, difficult trails around me REQUIRE 35s, at least one locker and a winch. so you have no idea what trails he will be running.

Quote:
Fitting a locker is actually easier on axle components as it reduces shock loads.
Hope this helps.
not when your axles are made of swiss cheese like rovers. a rover axle is going to have a hell of a hard time holding up to 35s and a locker on multiple trail rides, especially if his driving style is throttle happy.

Quote:
Obviously running a tire that size would be counter-productive if they hit the firewall, or I can't turn the front's when they're stuft. That's why I'm thinking a narrower tire would be better.

here are some examples of discos and other LR that are the same chassis (same design and components anyways) for you to see. 35s will fit without hitting the fire wall, but some fender trimming is necessary:

35" KM2s. 3" lift and some trimming:

35s. 3" lift. then he got 37s on the same lift a little bit down. it's more modified now and a trail rig "truggy" only. those photos are at the end:

what were you saying about stability? looks stable to me. he winched out, and didn't flip. who would've guessed?
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM

stuffing the 35s:

let's see you do this with 33s. these are 37s in these photo, FYI:

and well, here it is now on coilover...the lift equates to 3". tires are 37" maxxis trepadors.

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:06 AM

oh look, more 37s on ~3":

drivetrain moved to this truck. guess what? same chassis, so same thing as a discovery:

just a little more lift to fit 40s. look how "unstable" it is. bullshit.

this defender is on 37s and is a daily driver. again ~3" of lift on coilovers:

the higher you go, the wider out your tires must be placed (although not necessarily really wide tires) to counter the heightand give you a stable rig. wider tires will grip rocks better, and give you a much larger contact patch when aired down. contact patch is very important because the wider they are, the more traction you will have, since the tire will be griping more ground.backspacing will only get you so far though. if you really want to get wide, wider axles would be in order. i wouldn't recommend going over 3" lift EVER. those 40s could be fit on a 3" lift, but a lot more modification would be needed. it's all about what you're willing to do.

don't listen to the naysayers. you sound like you know what you need to wheel where you want to wheel. you just need advice on how to fit them.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
NICE pics! Are you driving?

I'm glad I went bigger..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.