Marinello Range Rover Rims Ruined after 10 months? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Unhappy Marinello Range Rover Rims Ruined after 10 months?

I purchased a new Range Rover Supercharged in December 2008 from the Encino, CA Land Rover Dealership.

They offered me a set of Marinello 22" chrome rims for $6k (Discounted from $10k) - And the rim company they contract with for these is CalChrome.com

Here is a pic of them new:

I am a bit of a clean freak, so I have the car washed and detailed almost weekly.

However, here is what the rims look like after 10 months:

The rim company is considering this "salt damage" - not covered under warranty. You see, I moved a mile away from the beach in San Diego 3 months ago.

My question is: Is it possible for this sort of thing to happen by simply living near the beach for 3 months, with a garage kept car?

I wonder why I wasn't made aware of this possibility when I purchased. After all, Encino is only about 10 miles from the beach itself.

Please let me know what you think, as I'm wondering if the "quality" of these rims is the true culprit. They said this always happens to chrome rims near the beach. They recommended I pay them to powder coat them white.

Thanks.
kellinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

First, Are you a Female?

Second, If so, are you hot?
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

$6K for a set of fucking wheels?
michaels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, the replies so far have been immensely helpful! I'm so glad you both were able to take a few moments and give such great feedback!

I can only hope others will benefit from your input as well, and you will continue to venture into other threads to share your wisdom. You are exactly what this forum needs.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
House Trained

I'd say that they are cheaply made wheels. Powder coating them would be the best option if you like the style of the wheels, however I think it would be best to go back to the stock 20" wheels.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

The answer is NO. Three months of salt would not do this to chrome.
Emersion in salt water for three months MIGHT do this, ... but typically it can take years for that sort of damage to occur. If you used some sort of harsh brake dust remover on them ... it could have done this, but doubtful it would have caused such uniform corrosion.
I would say the dealership should stand behind this and go after the company that supplied these. Worst case, they should supply you with a set of OEM rims.
And for the guys laughing out of ignorance about the cost of these wheels, ...
I recently watched someone plunk down 12K for a front grill "Strut" package on a 2009 Range Rover.
So, I'd say 6K for wheels was a bargain.

Stand your ground on these wheels.
D
nashvillerover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

i can think of a lot of ways to spend 6k better!!! wouldn't be ugly chrome wheels!
2006 subaru outback 2.5i

rirovers@yahoo/groups.com
peterbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillerover View Post
no, not out of ignorance. Laughing at how stupid it is to spend $6k on wheels.
Quote:
I recently watched someone plunk down 12K for a front grill "Strut" package on a 2009 Range Rover.
Nope, not a bargain, just $4k less stupid than paying $10 for them.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,tv

Gallery: 1
Thumbs up

6 K
Attached Thumbnails
Marinello Range Rover Rims Ruined after 10 months?-picture-sam-001.jpg  
96 discovery Three types of suffering !!
03 discovery The snorkel
SAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
LROffroad.com

Gallery: 5

I feel bad for you, POwder coating them is a great option, I think whoever details your car may have used a cleaner that damaged the finish on your rims, either they used a cleaner that destroyed your wheels or you just got incredibly un lucky. It's probly not a factory defect since it got all of your wheels...... I would think a factory defect would only effect a few wheels, not all four, unless all 4 just got a crappy coating..... I know you have the wheel re-chromed which wont be cheap, but something tells me you have a few bucks, and honestly, if you take those wheels to a good chrome shop then they will probably blind you when their done...... I find that companies who chrome stuff do an amazing job, usually better than anything you can buy..... Nice Range by the way, I donty hate chrome wheels, I think they look good, but I just like off roading too much. But you might want to look into thicker profile tires so that you dont bend your rims on a bump.... But again, nice looking Range
Old 09-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,tv

Gallery: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillerover View Post
The answer is NO. Three months of salt would not do this to chrome.
Emersion in salt water for three months MIGHT do this, ... but typically it can take years for that sort of damage to occur. If you used some sort of harsh brake dust remover on them ... it could have done this, but doubtful it would have caused such uniform corrosion.
I would say the dealership should stand behind this and go after the company that supplied these. Worst case, they should supply you with a set of OEM rims.

Stand your ground on these wheels.
D
You get the BOB award
Attached Thumbnails
Marinello Range Rover Rims Ruined after 10 months?-picture-sam-001.jpg  
96 discovery Three types of suffering !!
03 discovery The snorkel
SAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I've been talking to a guy named Rick at CalChrome.com and he's been really cool about it. They admitted that they tried a new kind of chrome on this particular model of wheel and weren't happy with it. Nonetheless they agreed to powder coat any color I want for $300.

I'm trying to decide between a matching white powdercoat or a flat or glossy black. I've only seen one car with white powdercoated rims - a white lambo with white rims, and it looked great. But I'm afraid brake dust will constantly make them look dirty.

What would you go with?

And FYI to the people that think $6k is crazy, I'm not sure what you're comparing the price to. I knew the dealer would cost more, but at the time I didn't really care. In hindsight I wish I would've went with HRE's or something of quality from a company that really stands behind their products, and has a history of quality. But last time I checked, HRE's for my Bentley were quoted at $12k so I'm thinking $6k doesn't sound so bad, LOL.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
House Trained

Haha a guy with money. I would do them black, white will drive you crazy cleaning them.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was looking into the marinello site and they are selling there rims for about 2k and if you look at eBay they sell much cheaper. If you got marinelo rim I think you got ripped off from the dealer for paying 6k. i was wondering is there any thing wrong with these rims. I am planning to buy the stormer 2 rims for my 07 full size range rover, and was wondering if ride quality would be different. Sure you will feel more bumps but how about the quality and the fitting for them. IF any one have these rims can you post up picture i would appreciate it.

refer to these site
http://www.marinellowheels.com/produ...name=StormerII
karin604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
J+D

Seems to me the whole reason behind chrome way back when was to prevent rusty bumpers. I'm assuming you have steel wheels. If the chrome job was poor and there were pin holes in the chrome then you'd have rust in no time. I can't see the pic so i dont know exactly what you have but it does seem to suggest defect of some sort.

I'd have them stripped and Re-Chromed by someone who knows how to do it right. Nothing like a nice shiny set of wheels.

J+D
J+D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.