Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Nervous newbie

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  salty164 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am Mike and just purchased a 2003 Discovery about a month ago. My wife and I previously had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and when it came time to find a new car I wanted to find something similar. I had noticed the price on Discoverys was pretty good, better than a comparable Jeep in some cases, and we both loved the looks and reputation of the Land Rovers. We found one that is Bonatti Grey, has the windows already tinted, brush-guard bumper on the front, brush-guards on all the lights, and a ladder. About the only things missing are the roof rack and fog lights. Looks great I am just concerned about the running part.

I saw someone post in another forum "Designed by geniuses, built by soccer hooligans." My VIN is outside the TSB for oil pump failures but having read about failures outside that range for '03-'04 Discos I am pretty nervous about it.

No issues with the ABS light or its brothers yet, but I am replacing the pads and rotors (sitting in the floor now). I will bleed the system at the same time. Fingers crossed on the lights not coming on.

The front oxygen sensors are out as well (also in the floor waiting on me). They were surprisingly cheap compared to what I have been used to for other cars in the past.

Also replacing the belt. Just a few things typical on a used car with 90k+ miles.

I am an engineer by profession and have a modest amount of car wrenching ability. I am definitely not a mechanic, nor do I have the facilities to tear down anything major. Sounds like the only oil pump fix is a "new" engine so I will drive this one until it gives up. After that, I am still scratching my head right now.

The only weird thing so far is the tires. It needs new ones so I have been looking around on forums for sizes that fit. From what I have read anything much bigger than the stock 255/55-18s (29") will not fit without some amount of lift. The truck has 275/60-18s (31") on it now. I have not noticed any rubbing. Wondering if a previous owner lifted it? Looking underneath I don't see any blocks above or below the springs so no real indication to me it is lifted at all.

See less See more
#3 ·
I ran 30.6 without a lift and did not have any rubbing. I think you are fine as long as you are not getting goofy offroad. Welcome to the bonatti grey club.
Sounds like you are well on your way to taking tender loving care of your rig...it needs it. Also, you are about to get like 82 replies that tell you to replace or rebuild your front driveshaft immediately if it only currently has only one greaseable zerk on it. If it still has the original sealed ujoints they get too hot next to the Cat and self destruct, taking out your tranny as well usually. Do a search on Tom Woods Driveshaft. Will Tillery has a great price on them right now.

#4 ·
Also, you are about to get like 82 replies that tell you to replace or rebuild your front driveshaft immediately if it only currently has only one greaseable zerk on it. If it still has the original sealed ujoints they get too hot next to the Cat and self destruct, taking out your tranny as well usually. Do a search on Tom Woods Driveshaft. Will Tillery has a great price on them right now.
Thanks spiderfreak I will add it to my growing mental list of rehabs. May explain another mystery noise I have been hearing. I am thinking the truck is pretty stock, no replacements of any kind yet. I know I need at least one tie rod end. Also have a clank over bumps in the front end somewhere I am trying to track down. I don't think it is related to the tie rod.

I feel somewhat like I just bought an old Italian sportscar...

#6 ·
Welcome to the club. Treat her well and she'll return the favor. We had a Jeep Commander(loved this thing) before our current 03 Disco. In the vin range for oil pump issues with no problems. Don't let it EVER get hot. As posted before, do that driveshaft! We have had multiple LRs over the last ten years and have been treated very well by them (knock on wood), but I am pretty particular about their maintenance.
Anyway, nice ride. Enjoy it.

#7 ·
OME shocks and springs

I did some more crawling around underneath and found a tag on one of the rear springs and could read one of the rear shock tags. I have OME shocks and springs. The rear are 781 springs which according to what I looked up is a 2" lift on disco2s. I haven't been able to see any ID on the front yet but will assume they are 777 or 779 or 761 etc. I don't plan on mounting anything heavy on the front anytime soon anyway. Will have to figure it out if/before I do.

Also looked at the front drive shaft. My guess is from the looks of it it has been replaced, but does not have the zerk on the rear double u-joints at the transfer case. That will get corrected in the coming weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.