WHAT'S THE BEST YEAR FOR Discovery? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WHAT'S THE BEST YEAR FOR Discovery?

Hi, I'm a newby and am looking into getting an older LR Discovery. Was wondering what year was the best for fewer breakdowns and good reliability? I will primarily use it for fishing, camping & Mt. biking and an occasional 4 wheeling and towing my Teardrop camp trailer. I live in southern Idaho so off the road is a given. I'm a careful driver, but I don't baby my cars. They are to be driven. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I've restored several cars over the years and am familiar with getting some grease under my nails, but I don't know a lot about Land Rovers yet, other than I think they are the best 4x4 out there. So if anyone wants to comment on what to look for and maybe more importantly what to lookout for when buying an older Landy, feel free to comment. Any and all comments are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Welcome. My preference would be a pre 1996, primarily because I prefer the Lucase 14CUX injection system over GEMS, and having a distributor puts back some control into your hands. Problem with them when they get that old is rot (not just rust) in sills, front door posts and rear wheel arches. However, they can be found cheaper than dirt.
I have a friend who bought a teardrop made by the Amish, and I was SO impressed. I'm still a tent man, but love the efficiency of the teardrop.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What are you looking to use a Discovery for, this makes a difference?

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
99 DII's Rule

Or

An 04 for the locking Diff and upgrades.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I am in full agree with her. I have a 99 D2, rides well on the road and climbs like a mountain goat and the 04 had about the best of all Disco features including a to die for ride, bigger engine and the CDL t/case.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
What are you looking to use a Discovery for, this makes a difference?
Primarily fishing, camping & Mt. biking in the Idaho terrain and an occasional 4 wheeling and towing my Teardrop camp trailer. Some highway driving too, as I go to New Mexico a lot.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Welcome. My preference would be a pre 1996, primarily because I prefer the Lucase 14CUX injection system over GEMS, and having a distributor puts back some control into your hands. Problem with them when they get that old is rot (not just rust) in sills, front door posts and rear wheel arches. However, they can be found cheaper than dirt.
I have a friend who bought a teardrop made by the Amish, and I was SO impressed. I'm still a tent man, but love the efficiency of the teardrop.
Where does the "rot" usually occur? I thought LRs had aluminum bodies.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator

As already mentioned, I would suggest you look at a 99 D2 or newer, they can be found in the $3000 to $4000 range and will make a fun camp and daily driver if needed.

Mike

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Just A Kid Posing As A Middle Aged Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebiker View Post
Primarily fishing, camping & Mt. biking in the Idaho terrain and an occasional 4 wheeling and towing my Teardrop camp trailer. Some highway driving too, as I go to New Mexico a lot.
If you want to see a lot of Land Rovers in action, buy your Disco and plan on making the National Land Rover rally at Moab, UT 10/19-10/23. Plenty of others from S.Idaho are going and I am sure we will have caravans heading down.

Mike
2004 Discovery II "The Grey Goose"--Sold...with regret
3" OME and Toddco Spacer lift, 32" Nittos, TW Shaft, Terrafirma stabilizer, custom winch bumper and sliders, rear camera, CB, 30 GB Zune and Infinity sub.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
'94/'95. Least electronically dependent. Bullet-proof engine if you change the oil and don't overheat it. Aftermarket parts are cheap as chips.

That said, I prefer the '87/'88 Range Rovers myself, don't discount them.

PDX Craiglist is ALWAYS full of cheap Rovers.

Yes, I am still alive, and still in the Rover parts business.
Text me for greatest likelihood of finding me.

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
'94/'95. Least electronically dependent. Bullet-proof engine if you change the oil and don't overheat it. Aftermarket parts are cheap as chips.

PT, are you talking 94-95 Range Rover ? Not the Disco, right ?
Was there a P38 Rover and a Classic in 95 ? I thought I saw both in that year and if so, I assume you are talking about the Classic. I am thinking of exactly that range of rigs to try and find for my second born son, soon to join the world of new drivers (excluding 10 years of driving experience on various video games...mostly running over pimps and terrorists...)

Mike
3" OME and Toddco Spacer lift, 32" Nittos, TW Shaft, Terrafirma stabilizer, custom winch bumper and sliders, rear camera, CB, 30 GB Zune and Infinity sub.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderfreak80 View Post
PT, are you talking 94-95 Range Rover ? Not the Disco, right ?
Was there a P38 Rover and a Classic in 95 ? I thought I saw both in that year and if so, I assume you are talking about the Classic. I am thinking of exactly that range of rigs to try and find for my second born son, soon to join the world of new drivers (excluding 10 years of driving experience on various video games...mostly running over pimps and terrorists...)
Nope, Discos '94/'95. I'm not fond of the later Rangies for off-roading due to the B-W transfer case and the '95s I hate to see torn up as there were so few to begin with.

I have yet to see a DII with as many miles as either my '94 LWB, nor my '95 Disco.

260-804-0458

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM

Studebiker, that is a sweet looking ride in your avatar !

Mike

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post

How would you say the 4.0 liter engine compares to the 4.6? (assuming regular oil changes between 3,000 and 8,000 miles)

(I'm actually in a similar situation to studebiker and might be able to piggyback on this thread a bit.)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350SDL
Debating between LWB RRC and Disco 1 or an 04 Disco II
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker525 View Post
How would you say the 4.0 liter engine compares to the 4.6? (assuming regular oil changes between 3,000 and 8,000 miles)

(I'm actually in a similar situation to studebiker and might be able to piggyback on this thread a bit.)
Don't let it overheat and it should last damned near forever.

Each year, things get electronically more complex.

260-804-0458

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only Other > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.