Hello from Sri Lanka - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Hello from Sri Lanka

Hi,

I live in Sri Lanka and recently bought a SeriesIII SWB. Apparently it had been brought down here by the UN in the 70's and has had two other owners before me. I suppose each owner had done their own modifications and quite frankly wrecked it. I just got it back from the garage after having to do a complete engine overhaul. Engine runs a lot smoother now, although there are still so many noises that I cant isolate where they're even coming from.
Two days ago my brakes failed (has been fitted with what I think is an Isuzu brake servo). As it was in the middle of the night and since we don't really have an AA to call I had to drive it on the first all the way home, turning off the engine when I needed to stop completely.
I was wondering whether anyone here has had a similar experience, and also whether I should repair the current brakes or just restore the original brake system.

Cheers,

Pasindu
pasindu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome Pasindu.

The standard drum brakes on a Series LR are more than adequate when they are adjusted, maintained and repaired correctly. Use quality replacement parts and work as per the manual and you will be rewarded with an effective and long lasting Brake system.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Matt,

Found someone who seems to know quite a bit on the LR brake system. Will be taking it to him shortly to get the entire system brought up to scratch.

Another concern I had was that my safari door only has two hinges. I've seen a few series 3s and Defenders with only two hinges on the safari door, but have seen even more with three hinges. I'm going to be mounting my spare wheel onto the safari door. Is it advisable to do this with just th two hinges, or should I stick a third in just in case?

Regards,

Pasindu.
pasindu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

You would be better off with a separate tyre carrier as even the three hinge doors don't last long when the vehicle is driven on rough roads while carrying a heavy spare.

Something like this is much more robust.

PM287 | Paddock Swingaway Rear Spare Wheel Carrier

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Series Land Rovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.