Isuzu Diesel conversions - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Isuzu Diesel conversions

Hey guys,
Am just thinking of converting my 2.6L SIII to a isuzu diesel, mainly as a result of the terrible fuel consumption, and the fact that I like diesels. Has anyone had any expereince in this. How easy are they to bolt on? I have overdrive on the old girl, so will I have to upgrade the gearbox. I have the salisbury diffs aswell, so will they be ok? I am just wondering if I should start saving my pennies or if I should just leave her how she is. A bit of advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Dick
DickFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Gallery: 2

While I personally haven't ever used one, the Isuzu engine is an excellent choice for a conversion, as it is a relatively low reving engine. It's a fair bit lighter than your 2.6 slug, and I have no doubt you will find conversion kits available. I know this engine is used in the small Isuzu pickup truck and are still going strong long after the trucks rust to bits, Go for it, you'll love the performance, especially over the 2.6 six pot.
TerryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Profesional Hunter

Location: On the banks of the Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River (Rudyard Kipling 1902)

Guys

This is the best enjin to put into a Series after the original 4 cyl!!!!!!!!
I have been driving Isuzu Diesels as my daily driver for over 10 years now and the enjin are Bullet proof.

The conversion take a lot though.
1) Enjin mounts need to be moved on the chassis and new mounts need to be made.
2) New Bellhousing required
3) A Clutch conversion need to be done. Here in SA guys use a universal Bosch Clutch (dont know the model, but will try to find out).
4) New exhaust, the Isuzu exhaust is on the other side than the rover.

I Dont Know about the gearing on the 6 cyl G-Box but on the 4 Cyl box you actully have an increase in power and a little bit increase in speed. (Using the Isuzu 2.5 normally asparated enjin.)

DickFox Ill definatly Try it!!!!!!! (but I am nw blowing your money, not mine)

74 SIII 88 345 000 Miles & still going strong!

Reality - an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol in the blood.
Moeras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am now thinking I will just wait for a landie that has already been converted to isuzu diesel to come up for sale. I missed one that was down the road for me for only $500, but I think it may have ahd some serious issues. WHat is was plannin on doing then was to make sure everything is running fine and then try and swap it over.
I have also seen a isuzu diesel in a landie for only $1200 that had the 3.9L in it. is this getting too big. are the bigger engines as good as the 2.5L. Anyway, when I find one, I will keep yous updated.
Dick
DickFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Gallery: 2

a 3.9 litre diesel in a series truck? You must be joking
TerryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Profesional Hunter

Location: On the banks of the Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River (Rudyard Kipling 1902)

terrys

The Landrover R6 were produced in South Africa from 1980 to 1986

It was basically a series truck but was fitted with a 4.2l 4 cyl Perkins diesel.

Top speed is about 80km/h but low down power cant be better. (Something like 310nm at 1450rpm)

Very popular as working trucks.

74 SIII 88 345 000 Miles & still going strong!

Reality - an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol in the blood.
Moeras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2005, 03:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickFox
Hey guys,
Am just thinking of converting my 2.6L SIII to a isuzu diesel, mainly as a result of the terrible fuel consumption, and the fact that I like diesels. Has anyone had any expereince in this. How easy are they to bolt on? I have overdrive on the old girl, so will I have to upgrade the gearbox. I have the salisbury diffs aswell, so will they be ok? I am just wondering if I should start saving my pennies or if I should just leave her how she is. A bit of advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Dick
many folk over here use the 2.8l turbocharged isuzu lump it is very reliable and very economical the box will be ok as long as you use top quality lubricants and dont abuse it and the axles will cope just fine however many conversion plates are for 2.25 machines which have a different stud pattern the 2.6 has the same stud pattern as the series 1 2.0l 4cyl petrol unit but it is only a case of sourcing a 2.25 bell housing and swapping it over with yours
ONz
onslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 04:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
nid

Hi, I have a SIII former 2.6 with a daihatsu 2.8 turbo diesel (F75). It works really well. I had to move the engine mounts, get a conversion kit for the clutch and the bell housing and most importantly cut the bulk head on the LHS to fit in the turbo. It is fine for a GB (right hand drive) truck but might prove a problem if you were to do it with a left hand drive mobile. I don't know about the Isuzu but it might be something worth considering as the bulkhead anyway is sort of an odd shape in a 2.6.....

I have done about 50,000 miles of entirely trouble free motoring on it. With my Fairey overdrive it will cruise quite happily at 65mph (about 110Km/h) at 3250 rpm. My gearbox has been rebuilt but that was due anyway.

Oh - and I have gone through a few UJs on the rear propshaft but I never was that handy with a grease gun!
nid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default For sale Land Rover Discovery 2 w/ ISUZU Diesel Motor

I have one for sale
Check out my post in clasifieds

Land Rover Discovery 2 w/ ISUZU Diesel MotorAutomatic transmision, driveline has been cut and balanced, It is an ISUZU Diesel motor with ISUZI transmision and transfer case.
Almost finished
Will post pics soon
Taking offers
This is almost complete
Selling for my Father in Law. He has given up on build
He has spent countless hours and time in fabricating.
This will be an excellent Landrover and capable of getting 40MPG
wmabile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

.....err, this thread is nearly eight years old.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Series Land Rovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.