Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

original rover engine swap in a propane engine

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pickuprover 
#1 ·
A buddy of myne has a old pickup he converted it to propane and hes selling it so im thinking of buying it, but only if i can eventually swap the engine and tranny into my rover. i was wondering if i could get some insight on this suggestions, problems, things id have to change or if that would even work at all? anything would be greatly appreciated please pour out your knowledge!

thanks

oh and its a 4 banger thats in my rover now so the front engine bay is made for a 4 banger. I dont mind moving the front rad up tho thats not a problem for me.

#2 ·
Which engine is the propane? Biggest thing is size, will it fit in the engine bay (ie even with moving the rad, will it fit between the bulkehead and rad). is the tranny/transfercase much longer? Flanges to the driveshafts, can you get a new half a u joint to mate to your driveshafts? How much are you going to have to cut off the driveshaft? Maybe you will need a custom driveshaft? Almost anything is possible depending on how good you are with a welder/metal break. If you do not mind doing a lot of figuring, then it is possible, as long as there is room.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.