Wiring Harness is Fried - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 25
Default Wiring Harness is Fried

I am sad to say that my wiring harness has gone to the crapper. Has anyone on here ever used a Painlees Performance wiring kit? I know that they make them for early broncos and land cruisers but no rovers. I was thinking of using one of their universal kits. If anyone has ever used them any information that you could give me would be great.
Paydan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gallery: 0

http://www.britishwiring.com/Lrover.PDF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I used a universal Painless kit. Easy to install if you can wrap your head around the electrics. I found it easy, but for some reason traditional "car guys" always find electrics to be really confusing.

There's no ECUs or advanced electronics to worry about with a Series Rover. Hardest part is snaking the harness through the frame if you want a clean install to the rear circuits (lights, etc). Or you could just keep it outside.

It certainly upgrades the "capacity" of the electrics from four fused circuits to... many, many more depending on the universal kit. I had a GM/Delco alternator on mine, so that hooked in readily. All the circuits are color coded.
1999 Land Rover Range Rover Callaway #071
Overlander23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Gallery: 25

Awesome! Thanks for the information you guys. I was looking to keep it original at first but I am leaning more and more to the Painless setups due to the easy of install and the higher capacity that they are capable of. Thanks again.

Overlander,
Which kit did you actually go with?

Thanks again.
Paydan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
jimrr

I've heard lucas electrics called ''prince of darkness'' , ha ha. i've had 2 series 3, half a million miles, a lot of that harrowing fields, fixing fence and the rest and have never had as much as a shorted wire!!
jimrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with jimrr. (Except I HAVE had a shorted wire.) I've had a Series I, Series IIA 88 and for the last 12 years a Series IIA 109 SW and rewired a friends 109 SW, mainly by removing wires put in by PO's and resurrecting the original harness with a few splices and wires for newfangled thingies.

First, get a Delco alternator (70 amp approx) adapted in place of the generator (mind you, generators do have their benefits but 20 - 25 amp output isn't one of them). Then make sure you have 2 good grounds from the battery as original, one to the chassis and one to the engine block.

Whenever you are working on anything electrical make sure you follow and correct the ground connections as Lucas believes anything electrical requires two wires- ground and supply- VERY little is grounded to a body panel.

Check this information VanIsle Land Rover Network: Information

When you say your wiring harness has "gone to the crapper" what do you mean? It's possible it has because your Rover has had Previous Owners (PO's).
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydan View Post
Overlander,
Which kit did you actually go with?

Thanks again.
Oh man, it's been almost 15 years since I did it with mine as part of a frame-off rebuild. It was one of the universal street-rod kits. Pick how many circuits you want... just tally up how many things you want control over to determine number of circuits. I added extra rear illumination lighting, interior lighting, fog lights for the front, electric fan, wired for a GM/Delco alternator, door light switches, rear wiper, rear window defogging element, electronic ignition, 12v auxiliary plug, second fuel tank electric switchover solenoid, rear tank gauge, rear heater blower... maybe more. It's all very robust and fully fuse protected. I stuck the fuse-box to the right of the steering wheel (LHD). There are a couple of more circuits still available. So maybe an 18-circuit kit non-keyed?

The only thing being an issue, if I recall, was the alternator connection. But I think any kit can be adapted for whatever you've got.

I had rebuilt my Rover to be more useful, not to be stock or "original". I would have gone with a more conventional replacement loom if I was concerned about originality. I think at the time, though, there weren't very many aftermarket "stock" solutions for reasonable $$$. The Painless Wiring looms were reasonably priced.

Of course, my Rover is the farthest thing from stock now... but the wiring is all good and still has extra capability if necessary.

Jeff
1999 Land Rover Range Rover Callaway #071
Overlander23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

These series landrovers are so simple, you can just buy some 7 wire covered trailer wire to run to the rear that would do everything you could want including electric brakes for a trailer. A little uncovered 4 and 7 wire behind the dash then some more covered 4 and 7 wire for up front and you have your own "wire harness" that is protected, it just wouldn't be color coded.. You could even get fancy and use a relay or two for the headlights, or not. Throw on a delco alternator with built in volt regulator along with a universal fuse box (with a few more fuses in it) and the job is complete.
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Series Land Rovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.