1992 Fuel Pump Parts - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 1992 Fuel Pump Parts

Greetings all and Happy Holidays -

I bought a 1992 about 3 months ago, the lady told me it might need a fuel pump. So tomorrow is my first opportunity to finally tinker with this beauty

I read all over the place and I realize it could be the filter, the relay, possible wiring issue and finally the pump itself.

My question is - any of these parts have generic replacements at my local parts shop? I have read some guys mention the relay is obtainable for $5-10, but I can seem to find part numbers. And what about the darn pump itself, any replacements parts?

Thank you all.
gibrangibran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a known good pump (entire housing) and relay from a 1992 RRC I parted out this summer. If you are interested in it, send me a PM
1994 RRC LWB - sold
1994 D1 - OME HD, Mudders, ARB, etc...300 tdi 5 speed - Sold
1996 D1 - Parted
2004 D2, ARB front bumper, TF 2 inch springs and shocks, rebuilt front drive-shaft...-SOLD
Frank Rorabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I forgot to mention, the relays are specific rover parts but there are replacement fuel pump options if you wish to splice them into the existing housing
1994 RRC LWB - sold
1994 D1 - OME HD, Mudders, ARB, etc...300 tdi 5 speed - Sold
1996 D1 - Parted
2004 D2, ARB front bumper, TF 2 inch springs and shocks, rebuilt front drive-shaft...-SOLD
Frank Rorabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rorabaugh View Post
I have a known good pump (entire housing) and relay from a 1992 RRC I parted out this summer. If you are interested in it, send me a PM

Hi Frank - Being I am going through the trouble of tearing the whole thing up to replace the pump, I would rather not take the chance of a used pump.

My LR local mechanic confirmed the replacement part would be 1989 Chevy Cavalier, it goes between $70-75 depending on the wiring harness comes with it.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rorabaugh View Post
I forgot to mention, the relays are specific rover parts but there are replacement fuel pump options if you wish to splice them into the existing housing

I found the replacement part number AR272 from NAPA, you have to do browse though on their site to get the right pin locations.

I did buy mine from Oreilly Auto, the part number is MPI 2ER3 for $10.99, they matched the price from NAPA.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

Here is a cheap fuel pump option that people have been using with success.

New Global Automotive Fuel Pump Strainer Kit GM Vehicles GA3270 | eBay

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Be careful with the box store relays. The fuel pump relay Oreilly gave me looked just like the wiring diagram on the one from the truck. It wasn't the same. It stayed open 24 hours a day and ran down the battery and ultimately burned up the new pump I put in the truck.

When you put it in, make sure to check for voltage leaks to be sure it is turning off... or just buy the right part from AB (or the like) and be done with it.

I'm not sure about the part number they gave me because I threw it away to get it out of my garage. Was afraid I would forget and put it back in the truck if I ever needed a new one. But if you get up one morning and the battery is dead, check that relay first.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Here is a cheap fuel pump option that people have been using with success.

New Global Automotive Fuel Pump Strainer Kit GM Vehicles GA3270 | eBay
Thanks ArmRover, nothing wrong with saving $50! I will order it today and hopefully I get this baby running next week.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver72 View Post
Be careful with the box store relays. The fuel pump relay Oreilly gave me looked just like the wiring diagram on the one from the truck. It wasn't the same. It stayed open 24 hours a day and ran down the battery and ultimately burned up the new pump I put in the truck.

When you put it in, make sure to check for voltage leaks to be sure it is turning off... or just buy the right part from AB (or the like) and be done with it.

I'm not sure about the part number they gave me because I threw it away to get it out of my garage. Was afraid I would forget and put it back in the truck if I ever needed a new one. But if you get up one morning and the battery is dead, check that relay first.
Thanks for the heads up Texasdiver...That might explain the voltage I was seeing on the pump wiring harness when the ignition in position II as I tested, I will need to go back and test again.

Any idea where to get the right relay from without spending the $40? also any idea which pair of wires I need to check on the wiring harness for voltage? I could not find that information for my particular connector, it has the three male connectors.

thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibrangibran View Post
Thanks ArmRover, nothing wrong with saving $50! I will order it today and hopefully I get this baby running next week.
Got the pump, replaced it and it works like a charm. Now on to figure out why I don't have sparks! Got another thread going for that.

Thank you for your suggestion, the sellers was prompt, free shipping and the pump looked like quality product.

Gibran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.