93 Brake Help URGENT - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 93 Brake Help URGENT

I am in the process of re doing the front brakes: discs pads and calipers. Passenger side is done and fine driver side however i am having problems. I ordered that caliper after the pass. side caliper. Got it on rovers north and i ordered the one that i thought would fit. its said 1990-95 Hunter w/abs mine is not the hunter edition but that was the only option that included 93 driver side with abs. The bolts that hold it on go half way through the holes and wont go any farther without a hammer but wont thread in. And my old caliper is okay but one bleeder is totally stuck and is starting to round. Any ideas how to get the new one to work or haw to get the old ones bleeder off??? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
The type to cop a Range along with all the features

Hmm I didnt think there was any difference between hunter and non hunter. You would think it is just an abs caliper or no abs caliper. I did both my front calipers discs and rotors and I had a hard time with the caliper bolts too, although one just snapped on the drivers side and I ended up welding a hex nut onto the broken stud and somehow it came out... These calipers seem to be a pain. I wouldn't try and force the threads. So it is the caliper hole that is too tight for the bolt?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

The caliper holes are too tight but with the caliper off I can tap the bolts with a hammer and the slide all the way through, and will turn no problem. But when I have it sitting on the brake trying to bolt it in it catches the threads and spins but will not actually go in any farther than a few times but will continue to spin.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay so after a day of working on it I got it on and together. I had to take the brake lines off and put them into the caliper and then into the rubber lines. And i got one of the 2 bolts that hold it on in. The top bolt went in without too much of a fight. But the lower bolt after over an hour of trying to get it to catch even with a tap would not go. It did finally catch but it ended up destroying the threads of the bolt and shaving them off. I am hoping that the inner threads aren't toast. I am going to go to my Land Rover dealer tomorrow and try and get one went to Home Depot and the bolt I go did not fit. I really think this caliper is slightly different. The rods that hold in the pads are like .5mm too short they go through but the hole to put the pins in does not show all the way but i made it work, I just thought it was strange.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Got a new bolt from rovers north. Same thing. The bolt will screw in by themselves. But once the caliper is in place the bolt will not like up. I think the bolt has to be lined up so perfectly to catch and the caliper prevents it from lining up?? I have no clue and I'm running out of ideas. And I need to get my truck functional. It's been sitting in the street on 3 wheels for 3 weeks now. I'm have totally run out of patients with thing thing
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sux, but I've been here before. My guess is your '93 is a mid to late production(From VIN PA637568) that has the 12mm/ 12 point head bolt, part number: FTC3375. It looks like this.. Caliper Bolt - Metric (FTC3375G Same Fit As Part # FTC3375) - Land Rover bolts\clamps\brackets\washers from Atlantic British

That bolt goes with Caliper part number: STC1282...Caliper - Front Left Hand - 1993-1995 (Part # STC1282) - Land Rover hydraulics from Atlantic British

If you are using Rovers North "Proline" BullSh*t numbers it is PLD258A... CALIPER LH FRONT w/ABS R/R CLC, PLD258A, STC1282 - Land Rover Parts | Rovers North

If you have caliper PLB017A, that uses a 10mm/ 6 point HEX head bolt. Not going to work. And you never have to use a hammer to put the bolt through the caliper. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by pazzo rover; 01-11-2013 at 09:44 AM.
pazzo rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Fixed, ended up getting grooves cut into the bolt, still wouldn't screw in. I ended up getting angry and pounding it with a hammer and it is in there. Solved it the Jeremy Clarkson way.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleev2 View Post
Fixed, ended up getting grooves cut into the bolt, still wouldn't screw in. I ended up getting angry and pounding it with a hammer and it is in there. Solved it the Jeremy Clarkson way.
Remove the caliper and bolts and throw them away. You should have stopped when you first had a problem fitting the bolts.

Order the correct caliper and bolt and do it properly. There is no strength at all in the damaged threads and that caliper see tremendous stress loads. That's why it is such a high grade bolt, fitted with thread locker and a specific torque setting.

The two Calipers are different. The Hunter/earlier RRC has a different brake set up to the later classics.

Rovers North should have known this so call em up and give em shit. Maybe they will give you a deal on the new set?

Even Clarkson knows better than to mess with the brakes.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

If the caliper is identical in every way other than bolt hole size you can also just drill out the holes in the caliper to match the old one. I had to do that on a rebuilt rear caliper I got for my Disco. No idea what year it was for, but it was the same as the original other than bolt hole size.
But yeah, RN should have known, provide you gave them correct info.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

random, I called them and asked them about it, they told me I had ordered all the correct parts and the caliper was right. Just something with the lower bolt not lining up correctly. Now I am having the ignition problems (other thread...) so I am going to try and solve that and then have my friend who is a mechanic weld the bolt in place for me. The bolt is a brand new one from Rovers North, it is a high strength bolt made for that purpose.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah, but you cut grooves in the thread and pounded it in. It's ruined, the clamp load strength is a fraction of what is should be.

A bolt is not just a metal slug twisted into the mounting bracket. It's clamping force is defined by Hooks Law. It is the stretch of of the bolt that clamps the caliper to the bracket with sufficient force to hold it in place during braking.

Welding it is not the answer either.

Perhaps the axle has been replaced at some time and is from a different model year RRC? Try looking for BOM # and any other serial # on the axle casing and on the original caliper you removed to help in the search. Also measure the old caliper dimensions. Something here does not make sense? Call Rover North back and tell him that despite what the computer screen is say's it doesn't fit. Give them the numbers you pulled from the axle and original caliper and see what they come up with.

I think you are under estimating the massive forces involved in stopping a 4500lb SUV! It is hard to have a serious accident in a vehicle with a ignition problem, but it's real easy with faulty brakes.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.