Best lift combo? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Best lift combo?

Ok, so I have a '91 Classic that's been great to me. Right now I'm running stock suspension, stock size mud tires, without sway bars, but I'm looking to put on a lift to fit bigger tires (Thinking around a 33"), and add some payload compacity. To through a wrench into the mix, I use it as a daily driver, so I'd like it to be reasonably comfortable. I also use it as my expedition truck, and I'm currently in the process of converting the back half of a disco 1 into an off road enclosed trailer. I'm thinking maybe of a 2 inch medium duty suspension lift, and a 2 inch body lift. I figure instead of going with a HD lift, it will be tolerable as a daily driver, but I'll be able to back it full of gear, and hook up my trailer, without it squatting too much. I'm just wondering if anybody might have some insight into this, or if anybody has some better ideas. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
enterusernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wish i could help but i am new to the land of off road vehicles and could only help you all day long with lowering your car and race suspension but 33 inch tires sound foreign to me. i was thinking i would lower my range rover, put the sway bars on it and try for a more radial tire to get the best mpg's but i love the vogue look....
flytech78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks anyways. No offense, but a range rover isn't really something to lower. If you want to ruin something, why not some rice rocket? Do yourself a favour. Winch bumper, mud tires, roof rack, and lights. People won't stop lookin at your truck, but in a good way.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

you'll wanna go 3" for 285/33" tires. there will be minor trimming but nothing major. you will have rubbing issues at full lock.

How much payload are you thinking?
albani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm expecting anywhere between 200-500LB in the truck depending on if I have passengers or not. I'm not quite sure what my trailer is going to weigh unloaded, but I'm estemating it to be around 1500LB, and probably put another 300-400LBs in that. Again, I'm not quite sure what my tongue weight is going to be, but I'm thinking around 200-250.

With a 3", will I be having too many problems with steering geometry? I'm expecting to have to put on a d2 driveshaft, but I don't really want to have to start getting into different control arms, because that'll get expensive quick.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

at higher speeds it'll wander a little bit but its DDable. if it turns into a big issue you can replace the bushings in the radius arms or have the swivel balls re drilled. Its never bothered me, but I dont usually do much more than 70 on the motorways.

iirc I had a OME lift on my classic and it performed well. Its rougher than my p38 in terms of ride, but it still worked well.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Do you think that 2" suspension, and a 1" body will work just as well? As I said, I use her as my daily driver, and do take it on the freeway every now and then.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

I usually advise against body lifts. you could do 2" and 31" tires. you could probably get away with 235/85s.

All of my rovers are usually highway driven and sometimes with heavy loads.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
The type to cop a Range along with all the features

Im going to be running a 1 5/8ths inch lift and a 2 inch body and skinny 33's, Im hoping I dont rub but I may still, I only rub on the front when I turn too hard and flex the suspension
Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for everybody's tips. I'll take them into serious consideration. One more thing, the only reason I'm thinking of going medium duty rather than HD, is because I hear that off road you don't get quite as much flex out of the suspension. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by albani View Post
I usually advise against body lifts. you could do 2" and 31" tires. you could probably get away with 235/85s.

All of my rovers are usually highway driven and sometimes with heavy loads.
A spring lift does not allow bigger tyres to be fitted. Only a body lift allows bigger tyres.

The only way a spring lift can allow bigger tyres is to restrict movement of the wheels. Might be good for the mall crawler, but stuffs your traction off-road.

If you only drive it on the highway, you are only doing it for looks, so you can get away with a lot more.
p76rangie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Seeing that you want your truck to live two lives, lifted offroad & reasonable street, you might consider “airlift” air bags in the rear coils. I run them on my converted 95LWB but also installed them on my previous 1990 classic. As they are not attached to the suspension, just contained by the coil, they do not limit travel when offroad (let the air out). When I have a load of tools in the back, traveling the highway, I can keep it level and reduce the roll/sway you get at speed. Generally I just stiffened up the spring.
lwbblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Are those airbags just standard lwb air bags, or are they just pretty generic?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

these

1995 Land Rover Discovery Products Load Support - for 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000 and more | SuspensionConnection.com
lwbblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch. I think I'll do something along those lines!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.