Best lift combo? - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Gallery: 0

I run 285/75R16's with a OME 2" lift, a set of 30mm wheel spacers and some liberal wheel arch trimming. I flex close to stock with the winch/ARB Bumper and loads of off road gear which is great. I stand close to stock height.

One thing that has not been brought up in the other posts is you are going to have serious power issues towing a heavy trailer with the Rangie all loaded up on 33" tyres. You could go for a lower gear set in the differentials or fit a Defender LT230 T'case with a lower 1.410 or 1.667 high range ratio (low ratio is the same). However, with those lower gears you increase the risk of braking the diff/axleshafts/CV's. Something to consider.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm planning on swapping my diffs for 4.11's with a locker in the rear, and I'm probably going to be throwing in a better cam. Also I plan to swap in a R380, so I'll have a little more control.
enterusernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Then also think about swapping out the axle shafts and CV's for a stronger set (Ashcroft/GBR) and upgrade the front, open two pin differential carrier for a four pin at the same time. Those lower gears and increased vehicle and trailer weight will find the weak links fast off road.

I have found I have more control with an automatic than with a standard gearbox, especially off road. But that tends to be more about personal preference than anything else.

Matt.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

I personally can't stand the auto. Doing some towing, or just driving along, come to a hill and the dam thing down kicks and I'm red lining it! Got a pretty torquey V8, may as well use it. But yeah, that is probably a good idea to put some hd stuff in. Do it right the first time, so I don't have to keep replacing the scrap metal.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterusernamehere View Post
I personally can't stand the auto. Doing some towing, or just driving along, come to a hill and the dam thing down kicks and I'm red lining it! Got a pretty torquey V8, may as well use it. But yeah, that is probably a good idea to put some hd stuff in. Do it right the first time, so I don't have to keep replacing the scrap metal.
You can adjust the kickdown to come in earlier or later. You just adjust the tension on the cable next to your throttle cable.
p76rangie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

True, but I just like to be full control. Select a gear, push the throttle, and ride the torque curve. But that's just my preference.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

I had bought my 1990 with a 2" OME medium duty lift and found that the rear springs were sagging quite a bit. I liked how soft they were and would love it if they came just a bit longer but I replaced them with some 2781's I believe. They are between the mediums and the HD's, that restored the rear ride height - I should note that my BOGE units is not working. I agree with p76 and roverrandom that you want the softest springs and so maybe the air bags and the mediums are a really good mix, especially if you could control them independently from the cab to help with some off camber situations!

1990 RRC
1996 Toyota Avalon - hers
1989 F-250
1994 Toyota Pickup
90 red rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

what years came with the 4 pin carrier and 24 spline axle shafts? also what years disco axles would be a direct swap into a classic?

1990 RRC
1989 F-250
1994 Toyota Pickup
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

I think my springs are well past their expiration, I'd like more aggressive tires, but I don't want a rough ride. I've always wondered if anyone has taken either of these approaches for a mild lift, which is from rangerovers.net:

"Lifts using Standard Land Rover Springs: For those wanting to experiment with different springs on their Range Rovers, it is good to know that all Land Rover coil springs are interchangeable in terms of fit. There is a listing of Land Rover springs, part numbers, spring rates and lengths done by the Land Rover Club of Luxemburg. One common approach for a soft 2 inch lift is to replace the standard 133 lb/in front springs with your rear springs (150 lb/in NRC4305 or 120-180 lb/in NTC3285). Then you can use rear Discovery springs (NRC 8044, 210 lb/in) on the back end to even it up. . . . I wanted to try the relatively long NRC4304 springs on the rear but sold my Classic before I had a chance. Andy Grafton lifted his suspension by using longer springs without changing shocks -- he found articulation appeared to remain the same but the vehicle is riding 2" higher on the shocks."

The link to the LR spring listing is: PART

Also, this guy apparently had success with the LR police springs but I haven't been able to find a US distributor:

NRC4304 Police Spec Springs

Finally, there is more info here, including an apparent quote from Mr. Matthews about using LR springs for a 2 inch lift:

Range Rover Classic Tire Choices
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Using LR springs is how it was done back in the day before everyone and his dog started making spring "lift" kits for Land Rovers. It works very well and while it was cheap and easy to do when I lived in the UK I have found it more expensive and way more difficult to source new OEM springs in non standard spec in North America.

For a mix and match approach it really helps to know the loaded/unloaded and front/rear axle weights. Good shocks also makes a noticeable difference.

"what years came with the 4 pin carrier and 24 spline axle shafts? also what years disco axles would be a direct swap into a classic?"

Some V8 Defender rears came with a 24 spline four pin or with some machining work a 4.6 P38 RR four pin can be made to work, but frankly for all the bother, you may as well fit an ARB/Ashcroft/Detroit and get a super strong four pin differential and a real locker to boot.

Matt.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

When I did my conversion (air to coils) on my '93 I used OME 751's (mediums in front) and Hd in the rear....very stiff and would not recomend the HD's
Ultimately your best bet is to go mediums.....wether you use OME or Terrfirmas, good for 2'' and you could always go with a 1'' spacer later on!
Depending on how much you are going to articulate your suspension, you will need to get longer shocks and extended brake lines as well!

This will avoid the need for new radius arms...you could always just use the castor correcting bushings in your stock arms if you dopn't like your steering feel! I diidn't feel any differnce with my lift!

Havn't heard of any driveshaft change...unless you go to 5'' or a LT230 transfercase swap!

Your good till 33'' for tires, but that's it before you get into cutting fenders and body lifts!

Look up Lucky8ll out of Buffalo....they have anything you need!
grnthng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
The type to cop a Range along with all the features

I love the idea of those airbags.

For my project RR I am going to be fitting a direct propane, gasoline tank replacement and a spare wheel propane replacement along with an aux gas for starting the truck, with all that weight in the back those air bags look like a cheap, easy and durable idea. And those bags can also make use of the air tank from the old air suspension. Cool link.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

" frankly for all the bother, you may as well fit an ARB/Ashcroft/Detroit and get a super strong four pin differential and a real locker to boot."

i like that. is it safe to assume that with my 10 spline axles i could get a 24 spline arb, buy some 24 spline aftermarket shafts and that would all go in my housings? who makes good axle shafts? anyone running a fancy alloy like 300 m?

1990 RRC
1989 F-250
1994 Toyota Pickup
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #29 (permalink)

285/75 BFG ATs with 2.5" springs (our own brand), Koni Heavy Track Shocks +2 and Firestone airbags inside rear springs (airbags were not inflated when this pic was taken).

1999 DI - LR HD Springs
1996 DI - parting out
1995 DI - parting out Scorpion Racing Extreme Kit
1994 RRC LWB - 3" AG lift
1991 RR - parting out (few parts left)
1990 Kawasaki KL650B Tengai - parting out
1989 Kawasaki KLR650
1988 Kawasaki KLR650 - parting out
1979 Puch XK
1980 Puch Magnum MKII
1980 Puch Magnum MKII - parting out
John C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

any of you guys running a 2" terra firma?
agthird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.