Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Best year RRC?

14K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  RRhino 
#1 ·
Hi,

Im in between deciding whether to buy a Disco or an RRC. Would like to know if i were to go with the RRC if theres a particular year thats better over the others? Im looking at a 1995 now thats gone through some maintenance but would like to hear more opinions on this.

Thanks

#2 ·
I'm a bit partial since I owned a '95 LWB. I absolutely loved it and would trade my '97 Discovery in a heart beat for my Classic back. Dang that was a nice truck!

I love the '95 because of the interior. You still get the Classic look but with more modern creature comforts (airbags are nice, too, if anyone you love rides with you). The soft dash just looks much better than the '94 and earlier ones, in my opinion.

Colin

#4 ·
i know that at some point the axles were upgraded from 10 spline to a stronger 24 spline and the diff carrier was also increased, i want to say that was in 93? mechanically the discos are a little better i believe, better t-case, and better engine management system - bosch.

#5 ·
Does this sound like a good buy? Its a 1995. He wants $4750.

Rare soft dash long wheelbase Classic with all the expensive mechanical bits repaired or replaced. Runs 100 percent on stock Defender wheels with brand new Nokian tires (and comes with a fifth Defender spare).

Recent work performed (service records from Classic 4x4 in Fairfield, CT provided upon request):
-Replaced viscous coupling ($1,400)
-Replaced steering box ($950)
-Resealed swivel housings ($650)
-Replaced headliner ($600)
-Replaced alternator ($600)
-Hatch seals replaced ($150)
-Complete tuneup (passed CT emissions in May)
-Previous owner replaced the air suspension system with springs

The truck starts immediately and runs and shifts perfectly with good temperature and oil pressure, no leaks and no surprises. Has a racing catalytic converter and exhaust system, which makes the truck slightly peppier than a standard one (although not drag car by any stretch of the imagination!). Exterior has the Brooklands body kit, with subtle pinstriping, running boards and taillight cages. Panels are in good shape, with a few dings here and there. Paintwork is average and slightly dull, with no scrapes or surface rust. Interior is in above average shape, with no rips or tears in the leather. Carpets are good, and covered by OEM Land Rover rubber mats. The front seats show normal wear for the age but present very well. A set of OEM vinyl waterproof seat covers is included in the sale. Air conditioning blows ice cold and heat can melt your plastic coffee cup. Dash has two lights on, traction control and ABS. I had both checked out by my mechanic and neither are the result of any mechanical issues. Most likely a sensor or a relay. All functions work except the rear window switches and the stock CD changer. The original radio still works well, and I have the security code. The passenger door latch occasionally acts up and requires you to lock and unlock it before it will secure. Solid frame and bodywork, with two small areas of rust in the lower back corners of the rear door sills. Relatively straightforward patch job. The tailgate also has some slight surface rust, but is solid and closes securely.

The truck isn't perfect, but it's low mileage, reliable and about as good in the snow as you'll find. All of the main mechanical trouble spots with these trucks have been addressed. I'm just looking for something better equipped to secure two carseats.

#6 ·
I am also very much prefer the 95 to the other years. I had owned a 89 for 200k miles and have 70k on the 95 I currently drive....the interior is a huge upgrade and only down side is you have to be careful when ordering parts....being it was a transistion year.

#7 ·
There are definite practical pluses to the 95 interior, especially the effectiveness of the climate control. But. . . I still prefer the quirky look of the original RRC dash, and the pre-95 are simpler vehicles in terms of electronics.

#8 ·
To me the 1991 RRC Hunter was as good as it gets. No abs, no sunroof, no power seats and good old fashion cloth seats.

#12 ·
i like my 91 country...gotten to know it well...and i like the older classic style and non serpentine belts..no emisions is good too...i like the 3.9...and would kinda like a 93...thats just my opinion...

#13 ·
Dash is a matter of personal preference....but I am definitely in the "if it is a Range Rover then let's have a proper Range Rover dash and not a 'hand me down' Disco dash" camp.

Brooklands Body kit is either a love it/hate it deal too. I think they look like shite.

His comments about needing to swap the vehicle so he can fit two child seats in the rear is completely bogus. The long wheelbase classics have more rear leg room than the L322 Model.

Also, rust on a Range Rover is never a "relatively simple patch job". If you can see it, assume it's riddled with it because 85-90% of the time....... it is.

Sounds like he has spent money on the vehicle though and at $4750 it could be worth a look. I think $3500 would be a fair price if there is only VERY minor rust.

IMO 1994 was mechanically the best year for the Range Rover Classic. All the LWB units had the excellent 200BHP 4.2L V8. However the older two door models will always look the best.

#20 ·
Dash is a matter of personal preference....but I am definitely in the "if it is a Range Rover then let's have a proper Range Rover dash and not a 'hand me down' Disco dash" camp.

IMO 1994 was mechanically the best year for the Range Rover Classic. All the LWB units had the excellent 200BHP 4.2L V8. However the older two door models will always look the best.
I'm with you on the dash. For me the original RRC dash is part of its pedigree. The 4.2 is a great motor and I agree on the 2 door aesthetics as well.

I know the LWB's have a lot of fans, but they are bastardized RR's to me. The extended rear doors and wheelbase destroy the proportions of the original design in my opinion. In practical terms they are fine, I suppose.

David

#14 ·
According to rangerovers.net the "best" RRCs are most likely 91-93 pre-airsuspension. That being said, once you convert a 93-95 to coils, they start evening up. Given that most of these vehicles are approaching 20 yrs old the big factor will be how well their previous owners took care of them.

Might I suggest this lovely 1991 with a meticulous owner ;):
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f15/1991-range-rover-sale-59767/

#23 ·
Love the color on that one. The body looks pretty straight, hows the interior?

#24 ·
Love the color also! Havent seen many, if at all, in this color being posted up for sale. The interior looks very clean. From speaking to the seller he said it was in good condition. Here's a few pics off the listing:

His asking was $5.5k. He's down to $5k but I want to try and go around 4.5k.

If all goes well I might have her in my driveway tomorrow. We'll see.

#31 ·
Thank you. I'm going to strip her down and see what I need to fix. I know that rust spot is most likely the first thing i want to nail down. Eventually I want to put a lift kit on her and have some black steelies and big ol tires. Roof rack is also on the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.