Biggest Tire Size on Stock Rim - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ğ Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

Gallery: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Body lift is now installed (Not a fun ordeal). I really want 33" tires, maybe go with the 255x85x16 size. I'm not adverse to some minor fender trimming if necessary.
A spring lift really does not allow bigger tyres, only a body lift does. So you will find the extra work is well worth it in the long run.

You will find that 255's on standard rims will largely give you issues on the cabin side of the wheel arches. Keep an eye out near the shock towers on full articulation on the front.

To keep full articulation (that is axles still touching bump stops from time to time) I was still going to trim the front fenders a little near the bottom to fit the 255's on standard rims. On the rear I had to drop the bump stops an inch to stop them going up so far.

But then I started my ute and stopped attempting to modify the 4 door and stuck with the 235/85/16 tyres I had. Which by the way only just clear with a 2 inch body and a 2 inch spring lift.
p76rangie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
cdb

If you are going to run rocky trails don't use aftermarket 8" wheels. They will de-bead. With the tires you are talking about the 7" stock alloys are the best (yes - the 285/75/16) because their bead is excellent and most aftermarket stuff is crap by comparison. Also the wider tire really forces itself against the bead.
I've run stock rims (alloys and D110 steelies) for 20 years, on all kind of nasty trails, and the only de-beading I ever had was when I went to Pro-Comp 8" 8068 rims running 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers on my heavily modified 1991 RRC Hunter. Not a very tough trail, 12 lbs of pressure. Twice in 10 minutes. Irritating. When the same tires were on the stock alloys
This debate has come up many times on the D90 Forum and generally follows the same pattern as this thread.
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
cdb

Oh yes, one more thing: I have a body lift on my 1995 RRC and hate the damn thing. Linkage is tougher to shift, console fit is poor, and much more swaying.
It came that way.
I will probably go to 3" springs after I have the lift kit removed because I'm running 255/85/16 BFG KM2.
I have all the necessary cranked radius and trailing arms and double cardon propshafts to lift it that extra inch so the cost is just in removing the lift kit.
Then someone can have it.
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.