Door Panel Removal Detail - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Door Panel Removal Detail

Hello:

'92 SWB -

I received my new door lock solenoids from Parts Express...now I need to figure-out a few things to get em in.

I have searched and found a few references to removing door panels but they are all very general, as in, "gently pry off" but no specifics...

I can only see two plastic plugs inside the arm rest...do these need to come out?

Where specifically are the screws that need to be removed and how do you recommend proceeding to get the panel off without damage/cracking wood/breaking pins, etc.

Thanks!

SG
sgnden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

pull the 2 plugs, you will have a screw under each, you will also have one behind the door handle, I can't remember if there is one behind the little door handle surround, but you will be able to tell if the panel doesn't come off some of the pins will come right out, some will hang on for dear life, the best bet is to use a door panel remover tool, a wild looking screwdriver with a monster wide tip with a notch in it, available at all your finer auto parts and supply shops, but in a last resort/el cheapo way you can just grab the panel and yank it off... pull any pins that didn't make it out, with a pair of pliers careful not to damage them any furthur, and reinstall them, btw be careful with the lock knob/slide when removing the panel, once the pins are out, the panel will kinda slide up to come off of the lock slide/knob...while your in there check for junk, in the bottom of the door, clean it out, and roll the window up and down, lube any bushings you see moving, don't use penetrating oil, use chain lube, 3in1 oil...
atvsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

It's just the 3 screws 2 in the armrest cup and the one in the handle. I've always taken off the door lock surround piece before door panel removal. The clips that hold it are a pain. Just take your time and work your way around using a trim panel tool. If you break any go to napa and take one with you they will get you matched up with a replacement. I think the clips come in a bag of 5 or 10.

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Great

Thanks for the tips!

I have dealt with enough door panels in my day...just didn't want to miss any tricks. I'll get the tool at NAPA tomorrow.

Can't wait to get those new industrial solenoids installed...I guess they just replace the whole actuator units that I'll find in there? We'll see!

Thanks again.

SG
sgnden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got all my pins loose no problem and screws out. How do you get the lock surround off. Also, how do you get the panel to lift up? The molding around the window seems to block it from coming up.

ArmyRover- "it's actually more of self inflicted torture chamber with doors and tires"- with this, I can relate!

PTSchram- "If you're willing to go through this with a non-runner, you're VERY well suited to Rover ownership."- THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A TRUER THING SPOKEN!
Sign Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

I just pushed up on the bottom of the door lock surround and it comes right up.

Once you get the door panel clips loose pull slightly out at the bottom while pushing up should slide right up and off. If your catching up on the rubber window seal it just pulls right up and out of the way as well.

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

For those doing this in the future keep in mind that this is the only door I've come across that has pins along the top rather than hanging from the window rail. Also, to get the covers off in the door handles push the upper outer side of the covers. If you do it from the middle bottom it doesn't do anything but mess up the cover.

One more thing, the lock surround can be pulled by using clip plyers on the two knock outs seen when the lock is pushed down.

ArmyRover- "it's actually more of self inflicted torture chamber with doors and tires"- with this, I can relate!

PTSchram- "If you're willing to go through this with a non-runner, you're VERY well suited to Rover ownership."- THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A TRUER THING SPOKEN!
Sign Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.