knocking-tapping noise on drivers side of engine... - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default knocking-tapping noise on drivers side of engine...

1990 classic- on the drivers side of the engine, I hear a 'tapping' or clicking sound, somewhere near the head area. I can't tell if it is an internal engine noise, or the exhaust manifold with a leak. Any common problem this may be? I'm going to have a mechanic take a listen, but thought I'd run it past you guys first.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
96 Disco

Default Tapping Sound

Sound is most likely coming from a rocker arm, the steel cups where the push rod contacts have been known to come loose, creating a tapping sound.
rovermech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Tap-tap Tapping.....

Hi Ron,
I have a 91 RRC with exactly the same symptons as you describe!
I have been ignoring it for a while but I guess it is time to act!! (getting fed up with people listening to it running & asking, "is that a diesel you have in there?"

So I have been told it could be the Rockers (tappits) that need adjusting... but I've also been told that they are hydraulic, self adjusting ??

Has anyone reading this actually fixed "tapping tappits", if so whats the scoop, why do they need adjusting if they are self adjusting??? How do we adjust, self adjusting tappits?

Thanks in advance...
Andy
Landy-Andy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hydrolic lifters take up the slack in the valva train using oil fed from your oil pump, like the rest of the engine. Occasionally a lifter can become gummed up or clogged, in which case it fails to "pump up", resulting in a gap that can cause tapping. If this is the case, you may be able to free it up using one of the many oil additives/treatments available for just such a problem. You could also try one of those pre-oil change sludge-remover treaments, as they have solvents in them.

Although I have never replaced any lifters on my RR, I have done it on other vehicles. They all require removing the valve cover, rocker-arm nuts and pushrods, and some require the removal of the intake manifold to remove the lifters. I would suggest just replacing the whole set if you were going to do it. I think a set runs around ~$150, give or take a bit.

-Coach
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Classic with 190,000 on it never makes this sound except when the cats went; my 4.0 on the other hand when its warm does make some clattering noise--the rover techs said it was the rocker arm, worn down and oil isn't getting through, etc--what has already been said here. Not too bad of a job, I'll do it in the spring.
troverman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol

Gallery: 3

I get this too. But after I run some injector cleaner through her she gets quiet again.

One time it sounded like that and it was just the exhaust had gotten loose. Tightened it back up and sound when bye bye.
OkieRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I visually checked the exhaust- looked ok, but it could be coming from where the exhaust manifold connects to the y-pipe-, or at the head itself, I can't tell exactly, but it is in that area that I hear the sound. I'm going to run a bottle of injector cleaner through it, and do the oil- flush stuff when I change oil, see if that frees a sticking lifter, if that is the culprit.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default "Y"-pipe Flanges?

Take a good look at the flanges. I chased this for a long time. Look for a reddish discoloration where the flanges that mate to the manifolds meet the pipe. You also want to take note if the ticking is more pronounced at cold or when warm. The best way to diagnose this would be to take a 2'-3' length of small diameter hose and "listen" around the flange using the hose like a stethoscope. That is how I found out my flanges were cracked. The cracks are probably really small. I had mine welded up, with strong discouragement from the shop indicating that the welds wont last long. Oh well, I guess I will find out. Also, a word of wisdom, if you do take the "Y"-pipe off, order up new gaskets and a stud and nut kit. This will make life much simplier, trust me.

--Kris
Kristopher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default 'reddish discoloration'

hmm...I'll have to look really close to distinguish the rust from any other reddish discoloration!!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Check your cats, my 88 RR was making a rapping sound like what you guys describe. I thought it was a tappet, turned out to be the cats coming apart inside.
lonestarrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Tap, tap, tapping........

Hey Thanks guys for all the good feedback, I'm still leaning towards the tappet theory (in my case anyway) The only reason for this is I noticed when I last changed my oil the tapping actually stopped .....then a couple of days later it came back again. I will try the oil treatment thing, let you know in a couple of days how it went,
Ron, let us know if you have any success with your,
regards,
Andy
Landy-Andy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.