Picture of and location of Coolant Temp Sensor? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Picture of and location of Coolant Temp Sensor?

My Range has been having some hot start problems. (Has new genuine cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air flow meter, adjusted timing, new fuel pump, etc).

I went to the local import car parts shop and asked for a ECTS for my 1995 Range Rover LWB 4.2, yada yada. The part doesn't look like what I thought it would look like. I have the RAVE, but it's not entirely too clear to me what exactly the RAVE is pointing to for the ECTS.

Pictures and installation instructions would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
parkpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

When standing at the front of the car looking at the motor, it is just to the right (pointing upwards) of where the top radiator hose goes into the motor on the intake manifold. To the left and lower on the intake manifold is the sensor for the temp gauge. The temp sensor for the EFI system has a square plug on the top with 2 connectors, the temp sensor for the gauge just has a single spade connector on the end.
p76rangie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check your fuel temp sensor too.
When changing the ECTS, drain some of your coolant first so you make less of a mess.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys. Got it out. The female end disintegrated in my hands. GRR. All I could do was JB weld what was left of the female connector to the new Coolant Temp Sensor (which I was able to procure the same day from Autozone! Surprise, surpise.).

So what is the sensor that is on the neck of where the upper radiator hose meets the engine (water pump housing?).
Old 02-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkpy View Post
So what is the sensor that is on the neck of where the upper radiator hose meets the engine (water pump housing?).
Over temp switch to activate the electric fans
p76rangie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p76rangie View Post
Over temp switch to activate the electric fans
Thanks!b
Old 02-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

you should also see if it sputters when hot with starting fluid, if it does but then dies your fuel pump could be shot. they wear out and have issues getting the truck started again when hot, was an issue on my disco. they can be repaired by replacing the pump on the inside of the fuel sender for less than 100$. go to this site for advice: Range Rover Parts Sources, Land Rover Discovery Parts Sources
ItsNotAJeepThing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Having a tough time of this myself...

When starting from cold, my 95 (LWB 4.2L) temperature gauge on the dash of the truck immediately pegs past the "H". Note: this is after sort of going on the fritz over the past 3 weeks... one time reading normal when I'd start the car and then another time reading past "H". So, I don't think that the engine is running that hot when I drive it on different days... I think it's my coolant temperature sensor that has gone out on me.

I ordered one that is specific to the 95 LWB (on the right side of the attached picture) and went to replace the faulty one in the truck. BUT the sensor on the new part (the part that actually sticks vertically and is screwed into the block of the engine) is too thick. The left side of the picture shows the original (when I unscrewed it from the block the male part fell off and a spring came out as well).

My question: Is the part shown on the right the same as the part on the left? No. If not- have I taken off something that is not the coolant temp sender but just looks like one? If so.. what is it that I have removed? The temp gauge no longer works... so it has something to do with the gauge on the dash. I will try to post pictures of where I have removed the part.. but it sits what is listed as the EFI sensor (sensor with the rectangular top that sits more forward on the block from the part I have removed).
Attached Thumbnails
Picture of and location of Coolant Temp Sensor?-cimg0099b.jpg  
fkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, that is the sender for the gauge. IIRC the green ring is Facet brand sensor. As long as the threads are the same it should be fine. The pic is kind of fuzzy, the only thing I really see is they don't look quite exactly the same.
osiristheclown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Location of coolant temperature sender

This is where the coolant temperature sender is on a 1995 RRC LWB (4.2L)... I think.

In the attached picture the sensor has been removed and circled in yellow.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture of and location of Coolant Temp Sensor?-cimg0102.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah, appears correct. If you have any doubt ground the wire and turn the key on, the temp gauge will max out.

The OP is needing the SENSOR for the ECU, which uses a connector like the ones on the fuel injectors. The SENDER is for the gauge and uses the single pin since the gauge works off resistance.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am still not sure that my is working correctly. I understand that there are specific senders for our different vehicle years. My temp will only go up to mid way, never further. My mechanic suggest that I may have installed the incorrect sender. This sender has only 1 plug-in where the other sender in that area has two. If I remember correctly, the one I put in my 4.2 1993 MY had a red washer(?) rather than the green one you show. Screwed right in but same results on the gage

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

Just reread the above post again - what should the resistance numbers be? At cold start, hot, boiling over? I would like to get a MM and check the oine I have out.
pscottjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Off the top of my head I can't recall. You can verify the gauge is ok by grounding the sensor wire with the key on, the gauge will top out. It is also possible it reads in the middle because your cooling system is actually working correctly. I know, hard to fathom anything on a Rover working correctly but it is possible.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

I figured out my problem- the sensor that I pulled from the engine broke when I unscrewed it from the block. It had corroded to the block itself, so when I loosened it, the brass male part (that holds the spring and cylinder pictured in my original post of the left) broke off and remained in the hole (vertical into the engine).

Summary: My original post shows the same part, but the new brass piece on the right has the male part still correctly attached (and in it contains the spring and thinner cylinder as pictured on the left side of the picture).
Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

There are several variations for the temp sender and temp sensor. When buying these parts, a VIN is really handy!

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.