Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Radio Install

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Thorrover 
#1 ·
Ok, First I am no stereo guy. I have a 93 RR. My stereo is pretty much dead.
I am putting in a Pioneer head that can use MP#3, Ipod etc. I cannot find a wiring schematic anywhere for a 93 system so far. Anyway ,I can only find the giant ADS amp
at the back of the RR by the tailgate and I cannot get power to it, the little red light is not on. I looks like all of the speakers run through it so there is no sound. Does the power for the amp come from the 13 pin cable from the original unit? If so can anyone tell me which wires they are or should I throw that amp away and buy another. Looking at the new stereo instructions the wiring goes straight
to the speakers and not through an amp. So do I need new speakers too? Again
sorry for all of the basic questions but again, I am no stereo guy and could use some step by step instruction.

Thanks in advance,

Scotty Thorpe
93RR LWB

#3 ·
Hey,

I feel your pain. Here is a link to the Ipod upgrade page on rangerovers.net

http://www.rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/entertainment/ipod5.GIF

There is a wiring diagram on there showing the function of each wire in in the harnesses. Recommend taking a multimeter and checking all the wires before you make any final cuts or solders. It shouldn't be too hard, but just know that most generic radio shops will butcher this job up as they will have no wiring harnesses or adapters for it, and will shrug their shoulders and plug in what sounds right (..experienced it twice before). Roverville and specialty shops should be able to help you out too if you get stuck. take some pics of your progress and let us know if you have any issues.

#5 ·
Ok , I have installed my radio. I did not take any pics. Not really that exciting.
I just bypassed the amp in the rear and ran the speakers straight to the Pioneer
head unit. I will have to buy better speakers and an amp to run the sub woofer or a new sub woofer. The head unit fit perfectly flush like a factory finish. I can take a pic of that later and post.

Scotty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.