Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

RRC window won't go down

11K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  LebaneseShowoff 
#1 ·
Before anyone starts bashing telling me to do i search i already did, on this forum and on google.

Now to the problem... I went wheeling about a month ago and we went "river crossing" on my first time there, I stopped my vehicle because water was too deep and i don't have a snorkel (i know i'm gonna get flamed for this) so water gets in my car and my driver's seat starts going crazy and the window starts going up by itself.

For about 30 minutes, i keep trying to lower it and we were fighting back and forth until i got tired and left it up, so i get home and i bring it down to open up my gate and i park it up... The next day i go to wash it and the window won't go down :S so I'm stuck with the window up.

Question is how do i fix the window issue? the window will try go up if i hit the switch but nothing happens if I try to lower it, i have power at the motor and at the switch, my buddy mentioned the "automatic window module" but i have no clue where it is and if it got wet and got damaged.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Second on the switch. I chased window issues for a full weekend. Had proper 12v power everywhere it was supposed to be. Cleaned up any connection points and loose wiring. After making sure there was continuity and power I ordered new switches and bingo. All window issues went away.

Splurge a little and pick up the lighted switches from Roverville-USA. They seem to be very well made and look sweet at night.

#4 ·
I've already swapped switches, all of them :s. This is driving me nuts, i hear the module making noise but nothing. Is there a module for the automatic window to go down? could this be the issues and where is it located to see if i can swap it with the pass side :s.

I was in pretty deep water and it was almost up to my knees.

#7 ·
What "module" are you hearing? With the door panel off and working the switch back and forth can you hear the window motors trying to work? While working the switch have you tapped on the motor to see if it would free up? That would tell you if the motors are on their way out.

You can also run 12v direct to the window motor and see if it will open/close. I just took a couple of screws held in place with jumper cables connected to my battery. disconnect the window motor and touch the 12v leads to the window motor plugs and see if they move. If not just reverse polarity and see if you get anything.

#5 ·
RAVE has diagrams on your wireing and earlyer. It's simple to read. I'd upload the page you need but I'm unsure how to with my cell but I have in the past a few times so maybe you can dig it up. Basicly the windows operate like this. Two fuses in the block supply two relays under your cubby. Those relays supply the window switches and the window switches control the window motors. The drivers window has a module between the switch and the motor and it's also located under the cubby. The windows are about as easy as it comes as far as electricle goes.

#6 ·
Wow thanks a lot dude, i'll get to that tomorrow :). Also forgot to mention the mirrors and diver's seat started moving by themselves, something that didn't work before :S

#9 ·
does any of this go for an 88? because my windows on the right side and sunroof dont work right now. Im not sure what it is i took a switch out of my parts rover and swapped it out and that wasnt the problem. id imgiane the wiring to be different as my 88 and 91 have different wiring it looks?

#10 ·
Well if anyone still cares... i solved the problem by switch the window lift ECU :D. Thanks for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.