1" spacers--- pros and cons - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 1" spacers--- pros and cons

what are the pros and cons of using 1 or 2 inch spacers with stock everything else? thanks!
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Why do you want to raise your truck with spacers other then the factory suspension has dropped over the last few years?
Nothing worse then raising a truck that still has a weak suspension. Why don't you just replace the shocks and springs with a good set of OME's, get the height you want and a outstanding ride.
Mike
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

sorry, didn't elaborate enough... the stock suspension is still in good shape. i just wanted to do a 1" raise for the slightly larger than stock tires. i went to 245/75/16s on the D1
Old 04-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfye
sorry, didn't elaborate enough... the stock suspension is still in good shape. i just wanted to do a 1" raise for the slightly larger than stock tires. i went to 245/75/16s on the D1
Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on your truck?
Mike
Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfye
So back to my originial statement, don't put spacers on an old suspension, and at 85,000, if you haven't changed out your shocks and springs yet, they are history.
With your mileage it is safe to say your overall suspension has dropped. Yes, the spacers will raise the truck up some, but with flattened spring and shocks that have long since lost their controling ability, it seems like a waist of your time and money.
Mike
Old 04-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

Nobody makes a decent 1" spring- so you kinda have to go 2" if you replace springs. Replacing the springs will make it drive like new again- a spacer will just make your worn springs die even faster and probably have more body roll.
I wouldn't do OME's, but I'd look into some springs.
To REALLY answer your question- it'll work. A 1" spacer won't do anything bad to it- but I'd bet the ride quality won't improve.
Former Rovers
2004 Modded "S" Disco, R.I.P.
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Muddy Oval is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I put 1.5 inch spacers on my stock suspension. I had 95k on my truck when I did it. I now have 120k. I have no sagging of the springs either,...yet
cons;
-I had to make/instal an adapter for the front shocks that are inside the springs. This alows the travel to be the same.
-The flex disk is failing prematurely, I would go with a u-joint conversion
Other than above, I have not had any other issues, I have flexed it fully with no problems as yet.

pros;
-I am able to put 255/70/16 tires on the truck, so I probably have gained about 2 full inches of lift with spacers and bigger tires.

HOWEVER.... If I keep it for a while longer, I will put new springs on it. If I load it down , the suspension does bottom out in the back, but that may be because of the stock, soft springs?

93 Range Rover Classic
-3"Rovertym progressive lift
-Rovertym 4-link
-Rovertym Trailing arms
-Rovertym extended brakelines
-Rovertym Sliders
-Rovertym Rear Bumper
-24 spline axle swap
-terrafima +2 shocks
-8000k HID light conversion
-lt-230 transfer case
We will never "arrive" so the goal is to keep moving forward on our journey so we can periodically declare, "I am not what I want to be, but I am not what I used to be!"
LANDY96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

landy96-- thank you for addressing my question. i hadn't thought about the front shock mount issue.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
In Hell

I had 1" aluminum spacers made for about $15 for the pair for the rear to level it out. With 3 kids I seem to be carrying more and more stuff in the back and it sags when I am loaded up. I am going to replace the springs soon but for $15 I couldn't go wrong to temporarily meet my needs. Notice use of temporarily.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Oh yeah...

Pros.

Cheap. Pretty easy. Did I say cheap... that is about all of the pros there are.

Cons.

You have to install an adapter for the front shocks... pain in the ass to change out shocks if you ever need to. You basically have pull the spacers to get into the lower nut to release the shock.

As they said... no change in ride quality if your springs are worn... if not well you still wont get a change.

Nothing really changes but the ride height. Bottom line.

Personally I like my ride height and the 235/85s I run but I would damn sure NOT waste my time with spacers again.... since now I know how easy it is get a hold of good springs.

I went spacers because I was new to Rovers and had a hard time finding a good source for lifts. You talk to most shops out there and they have their heads so far up Jeep, nissan and Toyota's ass they are clueless about Rovers. I was sure you would have to pay a small fortune to lift this thing... I was wrong.

If you go spacers, they are cheap... see if you like it. The first time you have to pull it all apart again for shocks (in the front) you will want new springs instead of spacers.

They wont hurt anything. One inch... yeah if that is all you want, You really should not need an adapter for relocating the lower shock mount.

You get two inches for free... maybe three but after that you may need to make mods. which add up $$$. I would say go ahead and take two inches.

98 Discovery
texasrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

yeah, i'm not looking for anything in the way ride quality improvement, just looking to give the tires a bit more clearance from the fender. nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Spacers may be what you need then.

98 Discovery
texasrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

Do it- the ones sold on ebay by ToddCo are quite good and inexpensive too. Don't sweat the shock extensions for just 1"
Former Rovers
2004 Modded "S" Disco, R.I.P.
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Muddy Oval is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

thanks guys! and what is the 'land rover lean' i hear about?
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.