1996 Disco I can take a punch! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Yoda-Rover

Gallery: 0
Default 1996 Disco I can take a punch!

As a testament to the engineering behind the 1996 Discovery, I can with say now that I trust this vehicle completely. I was rear-ended at about 20 mph by a 2005 Chevy C2500 Diesel pick up and while it destroyed his entire front end (both headlights, grille, bumper and hood) my Disco sustained a big tire shaped dent in the back gate, bent the rear bumper a little and broke my bumper tail light covers. That's it. I was so amazed at how it took the punch and is just a little hurt. I know the spare tire absorbed most of the energy but still, I'm pleasantly surprised about the Disco's ability to keep me and my family safe. Just thought I would share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Trooper

Gallery: 3

Glad to her everyone was ok. Your story isn't the first one I've heard where the LR held up unbelievable well after a crazy crash.

It's good to know that we're safe in the vehicle when it decides to quit working due to some Lucas demon and leave us a sitting duck in the middle of the road.

Colin
cnfowler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to have a pic from another LR forum of a DI that was t-boned by a semi, he walked away.
I hear lots and lots of stories like this and am always amazed at how well built these trucks actually are.
We need pics of your "battle" damage please.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

This is what happened to me on a stormy day:

My disco took it like a champ even though i slid 20-30ft and ended up facing the wrong way. I would of kept it and fixed it but the insurance company said it was totaled and gave me money for it. (had full coverage and it was paid off)

03 DII, 2" lift, ARD Brush Guard with Warn W8000 Winch + 2 PIA lights, and Safari Rack with 4 PIA + 1 utility light. Tom Woods front drive shaft. Michelin XZL 4X4 O/R - 7.5 R16C 116/114N Tires. My disco web album, have a look here.

06 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed averaging 47mpg......wish the disco did half that

Daedrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

January 6th

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Yoda-Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
January 6th

Almost exactly what happened to me. Change the pickup and it's identical. Insurance gave me the option of totaling it or take an "appearance compensation" payment. Took the compensation. My buddy and I crawled under and surveyed the damage and other than the tow hitch being bent to hell and my back gate dented in, nothing else is really wrong. This thing is built like a tank and I feel like I am completely safe driving in it no matter the conditions. So far, (knock on wood) I've had zero engine demons or issues. Engine runs perfectly and I would have a difficult time getting rid of it.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think that's a false sense of security. There is no structure above the frame on that truck just as there is not on the D1 either. His frame went under yours so his soft parts absorbed the impact. If it had been frame on frame it would have been different just as if his frame went above yours you would have an accordian cargo area.
D1 offset test followed by slightly better D2 offset test. D2 had revised structure that contributes to the slightly better rating, still not great. if it makes anyone feel better, Jeep Cherokee was worse with tire protrusion in the foot well despite being unit body. Wrangler oddly enough is a 5 star rated truck...

Discovery does not fare well in offset tests. Topgear did a episode where they had a minivan hit a Discovery head on, minivan occupants would have survived, not so lucky those in the Discovery. Huge difference between unit body and body on frame. the test was to answer the question if SUVs were safer... I still drive them, have 3, but they are not what I would consider safe. I realize certain circumstances such as yours make it appear that way, you got lucky in how you were hit and with what. Glad everyone is ok.

P.S engineering is from the late 60's with the introduction of the RRC in 1970... The D1 is on the RRC chassis and most of the sub structure-inner fenders, windshield, inner door frames, fire wall, floor is all RRC... No money for a new model so they made one out of the RRC with a very limited budget... D2 is on the P38 RR chassis...
1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington
saharatj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharatj98 View Post
I think that's a false sense of security.
Only to those who don't really think about the variety of vehicles on the road.
I had actually posted my photo in another thread as illustrative of what happens when someone is DUI. Of course, that doesn't seem to matter, his insurance is trying to get almost $10k out of me for getting rear ended.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Only to those who don't really think about the variety of vehicles on the road.
I had actually posted my photo in another thread as illustrative of what happens when someone is DUI. Of course, that doesn't seem to matter, his insurance is trying to get almost $10k out of me for getting rear ended.
Thats the way it usually goes, one of the reasons I like living in a "no fault" state, no matter whos at fault your insurance pays for your repairs.

I know of a comedian who was in a car accident, the guy who hit him was drunk, the police office wrote the info down wrong, the comedian had to pay over $10,000 to the drunk driver who hit him because of a error in the police report.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

That's not right...How can it be your fault when you are stopped? In Washington State if someone rear ends you, it is their fault. The only exception would be if stopped vehicle was in a dangerous spot or pulled right out in front of the other car. Then it would be up to investigation, lawyers and traffic court ect.
1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington
saharatj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

In Bogota, south america, some lady talking on the phone rear ended me about 3 moths ago, her car was a 100% total-loss. Her car ended up under my Disco I, i just drove away.... amazing machine love it!
1996 only 64,000 miles.
dmcbmw2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

I personally know at least ten people who've been in roll-over crashes in Discoveries, Two or three who've been in roll-overs in Range Rover Classics (one of which the vehicle rolled through several lanes of highway traffic and came to a stop wheels down-she began driving home and was stopped by a policeman and told she had to see a doctor-she responded that she was a doctor-he followed her home) , and one or two who've been in roll-over crashes in P38 Range Rovers.

Of those that I have known personally, the worst one was where a lady was unable to extricate herself. All of the others, the driver and adult passengers were able to exit the vehicles under their own power.

In one of the more dramatic, after the disco came to a rest upside down, the two little boys who were strapped into car seats in the back seat were giggling maniacally screaming "daddy, daddy, do it again"!

I know OF another ten or fifteen folks who've been in roll-over crashes in Discoveries. Only one did not survive the crash.

My son was rear-ended three times in his '88 Range Rover Classic. Both times, full-size Ford SUVs (the last one was an Excursion going 55 MPH and hit him when he was stopped) were completely totalled and the drivers injured badly. The worst injury he or his passengers received was a twisted ankle that happened after the crash.

I think they are safe enough for me and my family to ride in.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike555 View Post
Thats the way it usually goes, one of the reasons I like living in a "no fault" state, no matter whos at fault your insurance pays for your repairs.
That means I have to carry collision ins, which costs money, and pay a deductible if someone hits me.
There's no financial incentive for people to be good drivers.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
EC

Quote:
That means I have to carry collision ins, which costs money, and pay a deductible if someone hits me.
Yes. Once again we cannot correct you...
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes you have to carry collision coverage if you want your car fixed in the event of a accident BUT you do NOT pay the deductible if you are not at fault.
Your insurance will pay to fix your car, but you dont pay.
If you are at fault, your insurance fixes your car AND you pay the deductible.
Same thing if you are injured, your insurance pays for you, theirs pays for them.
They can sue you if you are at fault, if you are not at fault they cannot sue you.

I carry full coverage on my truck, to me its worth it, to others it may not be.
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.