300TDI Kit - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 300TDI Kit

I was wondering how many people(in the US) want a 300TDI for there Discovery I?

The reason I ask is because I am looking at importing three engines/trans kits to the US and wanted to know if there was anyone who would join me. I have it pretty much set upwhere it would cost about $3,500 for these kits. I would be working with the customs broker and shipper, all you would need to do is find shipping from my place in Greenville, South Carolina.

I found the cost was less if I imported three engines and the fact is I want a diesel Disco! I have had a couple of these Disco I and love them, I was a LR Tech when these came out and can help with the technical questions you may have in the conversion process.

These engines are pulled from low milage donar discos and were running. The seller of these engines can provide service kits, rebuild kits and even the larger intercooler. The kits are complete, new radiator, hoses, starter, alternators, engine mounts and brakets to frame, cross-member and engine cover.

here are some photos

So I was just wondering if you were interested, let me know, they can be ready this month, January. I guess I would then post it in the classified if there was enough intrest.

Thanks,

Peter S.

1998 Discovery V8i (soon to be Tdi !)

I hope i put this post in the right place!
DrPeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 03:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do they include the 300Tdi gearbox? Or is that extra?

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting project, but a BIG drop in power over a V8. Even the TD5 which is the later diesel only has 135bhp compared with the 182bhp of the V8, the 300TDi is down again on that at 111bhp.

You can tweak them, but it's 'Silk Purse and Pig's Ear' really.

Mpg is better though

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

Either way our Rovers will never be speed demons lister, might as well be slow and getting good mpg oh and not have to worry about drowning the electronics.

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

To answer the question 'Do they include the 300Tdi gearbox? Or is that extra?', yes they do come with the gearbox that came with the 300Tdi engine, so there is no extra charge, choose auto or manual trans.

Thanks for asking.

And as far as the 'BIG drop' in power, I was looking at the torque more than the hp. I do my fair share of off roading and the diesel has that nice low end torque for those days I want to crawl up the trails in the upstate here in SC.

The other thing I did find was that there a lot of products out there for these engines, helping them to get close to that hp of the V8i engines, phase I, II, III or IV and make more torque than the 4.0L V8i or you can just add the larger intercooler and do a simple fuel pump adjustments and make it come alive.

I wanted to add that these engines are non ECM controled engines and the come with the egr block offs.

So I want to get rid of my old 'Buick 215' V8 gas hog and go run a bio-diesel 300Tdi, for the price its worth it to me and an easy mod......

Last edited by DrPeter; 01-06-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: adding more info......
Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is the price $3500 per kit? I'm getting close to a freshening up on my pet engine at 117k. Pricing that out right now. I started looking for the TDi equiped Disco's already imported here stateside. I found none so far. I could care less about power to be honest, I use mine to get from a to b and back to a......for now.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gallery: 2

man id love to jump on this. unfortunately at the time i cant. but good luck with this, id like to see how this goes ,w ith whoever does it.
yesmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default 3,500 per kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihscouts View Post
Is the price $3500 per kit? I'm getting close to a freshening up on my pet engine at 117k. Pricing that out right now. I started looking for the TDi equiped Disco's already imported here stateside. I found none so far. I could care less about power to be honest, I use mine to get from a to b and back to a......for now.

Yep, $3500us per kit, and what ever the cost to ship it from me in South Carolina to you would be.

I have about 140k on my V8 and I do not want to deal with a rebuilding project when for a little bit more effort I could have a Tdi. Less cost to maintain and will last longer too and I can run Bio-diesel for half the cost of the petrolium diesel.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

If it includes the gearbox it sounds very promising, though I can't afford it at the moment.

The only real issue is that buying a used engine that you haven't seen running yourself is always a risk, since you may end up needing a rebuild anyway. If you're buying from a local that's not as big a deal, but having one shipped from the UK, well, if the engine is bad it's not so easy, or cheap, to exchange it.
Not saying I wouldn't do it, since in fact I have for my D90, but it's something to keep in mind.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Gallery: 2

Does your supplier also have the Defender versions? If so, I might be easily talked into a 300Tdi/R380, provided the intercooler, radiator, etc are in cluded.
Many people who ship these to the US, also supply the frame section which has the motor mounts, so that they can be trimmed, fitted and welded to the Defender frame (obviously after the V8 mounts have been removed)
I believe there's a local guy (RI I remember) who had one and he paid $4k delivered to his door, and that included the engine, gearbox with transfer case, intercooler, radiator, and all air plumbing.
TerryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Does your supplier also have the Defender versions? If so, I might be easily talked into a 300Tdi/R380, provided the intercooler, radiator, etc are in cluded.
Many people who ship these to the US, also supply the frame section which has the motor mounts, so that they can be trimmed, fitted and welded to the Defender frame (obviously after the V8 mounts have been removed)
I believe there's a local guy (RI I remember) who had one and he paid $4k delivered to his door, and that included the engine, gearbox with transfer case, intercooler, radiator, and all air plumbing.
Hey Terry, With the amount of Tdi engines and gearboxes running around the UK I would have to say there is a very strong yes, you could get a Defender Tdi set-up of your choosing, I will ask and post some more details.

The kits do come with the new Tdi mounts and new frame attachment parts, and welding them is required once the old V8 mounts are cut off.

New info.........

The defender kits are $3750us.

Last edited by DrPeter; 01-08-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: adding info and photos
Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default d90 Tdi kits pictures

Some pics..... for those who are interested in the D90 300Tdi kits

Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

How much if I wanted a 1.4 tcase to throw in with that order?

ROLL TIDE!!!
H-vegasdisco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

HMMM...$3500 to the East Coast...I may be interested
Old 01-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default t-Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-vegasdisco View Post
How much if I wanted a 1.4 tcase to throw in with that order?

Add $260us for a good used 1.4 t-case

drpeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.