Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

97 Disco- check Engine Light on and rough running - loss of power

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Disco Mike 
#1 ·
While driving at about 50MPH yesterday the car started to run rough(felt vibration) and had loss of power for about 5 miles. And looked around on the dash for any warning light, and there it was "Check Engine". THis light may have been on earlier but did not see since it's kind of blocked by the streeing wheel and can not be easily seen for a person of my stature unless I peep over the stering wheel.
Then I stopped at Pep Boys to pick up some wipers and started the car again after a brief stop then it worked fine for another 5 miles until i gor home. Came home checked the gas cap and retightened to see if the light would go off, but it did not.
I will take if for a spin today to see if the rough engine running and loss of power comes back on or not? Keeping fingers crossed?
Any thoughts and suggestions from this great Forum Members :drink1: !
As always, thanks for your anticipated assistance!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Laji

#2 ·
The only way to tell for sure is to have someone scan for codes, could be any number of things that will cause this. See if you can get it scanned, write down the code numbers and get back to us,
By the way, your gas cap being loose won't cause a drivability problem.
Mike

#3 ·
Mike,
You are absolutely right about loose cap causing the engine rough running problem. Someone had suggested getting a Car Chip from Ambientweather.com that seem to be able to record all the funky things in real time, do you know if anyone who has tried this and it works.
Thanks for your prompt reply!
Laji

#4 ·
Oh yes, I have a number of friends that have them and they swear by them.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.