Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

97 disco radio install help

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  johnsoax 
#1 ·
Gentlemen (& ladies),
This board has already been a great help. Im hoping someone can advise me on my first hiccup. I know this topic has been beat to death, but I just cant find the solution in any of the topics already on the forums. If im missing it, I apologize ahead of time.
My 97 disco has the factory pioneer head unit with the CD changer under the seat. I purchased a new head unit with dual RCA's and this (link) harness adapter. The adapter bypasses the new heads speaker connections and it runs through the RCA's. Everything connected as it should. I get power to the unit and all speakers seem to work (though I seem to only have control over the center channel) However, with the vehicle in the accessory position I get a faint hum through the speakers. When the engine is started It gets pretty Loud. The headlights further increase the noise and it fluctuates with engine revs. In other words Im getting quite a bit of interference.

Has anyone had success installing a new head unit without rewiring the whole truck?

I plan on removing the head and redoing my harness wiring. Should I draw a new ground from the head unit to the chassis? I noticed the changer still has power. Should i kill the power to it? Im just trying to avoid a complete rewire and keep using the factory amps. Also as a side note, the factory unit worked without any issues or noise. I just wanted something a little more up to date with an AUX in.
Any advice is appreciated. Anyone who has had success with this, it would be great if you could chime in with your solutions. Thanks again for this forum!

See less See more
#2 ·
Where did you get your harness from? I think their a mistake in the crutchfield harness... I remember reading it somewhere and now cant remember?

Oh just out of curiosity, what Head Unit did you get?

#3 ·
I've searched the 'net also as well as the shop manual (didn't show my radio).

I went thru' this 2 yrs ago with my RR & decided to pull new wires.

I'm doing the same this summer with my DI, as I decided spending a day pulling new was ultimately easier on my stress level.

I don't even know for sure if my DI has amps other than the sub. (they made 3levels of radios - 2 with subs.)

luck,greg

#4 ·
The Harness came from a local audio shop but they can be found on this page: LINK
There is also another one that is for the power etc that can be found on the page linked above.

As for the head unit, I went with this ONE mainly for the IPHONE/IPOD integration. Im not a huge audio guy, but I do like the idea of syncing through USB rather than an audio out for my tunes. Plus it charges.....now if I can just get it to work.

Another forum has advised me it is a ground issue, I will find out tomorrow and report back.

#5 ·
I have the exact same problem. I was able to mitigate some of the noise by re-taping the harness under the passenger seat, right where it attaches to the amp. Really have considered putting the factory head unit back in, and modifying the changer line to be my line-in for the ipod.

But my wife threw away the box for my radio, with the install tools, manual, and remote in it, so I really can't sell the thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.