All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 8
Default Disco 1 Engine Installation

Greetings,

I have certainly been more busy working on my Disco 1 than I have been posting, but have keep up reading this very helpful forum as the last couple of years have flown by. I have a $ 700 97' Disco that I have been "restoring" over the last couple of years and I am just about ready to put my DIY rebuilt GEMS 4.0 and transmission back in. When I removed the old units I did it all together including the transfer case. No real problems, but I had to be careful with the shifer knob and take the radiator out. As you can see I am about there and have three points of lift to get things going from the top.

Q. Any tips for doing things this way? Anyone else tried it? I thought about removing the transfer case shifter housing and installing that after it is down under the tunnel, good or bad idea?
Attached Thumbnails
All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-engine-side-view-1.jpg   All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-engine-tranny-transaxle-ready-disco-1.jpg   All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-rover-side-view-engine-tranny.jpg  

97' Disco SE6 (that is a joke - I just added 1 seat for kid #3)
66 Riviera
09 Civic Si Sedan

Last edited by pbsled; 10-30-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Update Title
pbsled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gallery: 0

sweet, bad ass looking, i did on a yota, other than that, no tips but be careful and move slow
Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

A shoe-horn. I'd probably do just the engine-tranny without the transfer case simply because it's more streamlined, no hanging. Are the headers ceramic coated?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Goodluck with shoving all that in. Its better to install em one at a time. First Time I ever pulled an engine out of a junk D1 I did that and wound up taking out the windsheild as well as bending up some sheetmetal. Lesson learned. The engine/trans bolts are really not that hard to get to with everything inside the truck.

That engine looks NICE too! I dont think I have ever seen one with out any oil grime on it.
albani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Winnipeg Thrashers...

Looks like fun.
Capt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Don't do it! It's more of a PITA the you'd expect.

Put the transmission and transfer case in, then drop the engine in.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

That is one sexy bitch.
CT1997D1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Every once in a long while things just work right. I took off work early today to get a head start on putting the engine back in this weekend before the weather turns bad. Things went so well that after taking off the transfer case and lifting the engine to just get some measurements ... I went ahead and dropped it in. I mean literally ... it took about 30 minutes, single handed, without a scratch or dent anywhere. I just rolled the Disco up under the engine and started tilting and dropping a little bit at a time.

I certainly recommend two things ... always use to points of lift and forget about those adjustable engine host levelers. The chain hoists were a huge help. Secondly, taking the transfer case off was a very good idea, and I needed to get a couple more seals replaced anyway before that goes back in. Good luck to anyone that is going to try this and I would not dread the job one bit. I now have a free weekend to work in a warm garage hooking up all the stuff instead.

Thanks for the advice and with a couple more weeks of work I might have my 4x4 back.
Attached Thumbnails
All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-step1.jpg   All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-step1a.jpg   All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-step2.jpg   All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-step2a.jpg   All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-step3.jpg  

66 Riviera
09 Civic Si Sedan
Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

BTW ... the headers were just cleaned up and painted with High Temp stove paint. I have used that before and it lasts pretty well on cast manifolds. My budget has been pretty "stock" oriented on the engine except to put in ARP studs.

66 Riviera
09 Civic Si Sedan
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great Job, question have you ever had a speedometer problem...bouncing, not working, I have new tranny, speed sensor still no workie!, Good Luck to ya!
Blan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Speedometer boucing

I am no expert but willing to guess. I did have the transfer case apart to replace all the gaskets and seals and pulled the speedo sensor out. Since it is all electronic and you are getting some readout it seems that it might be in the instrument panel or wiring.

Does it jump / bounce all the time? Is it related to vehicle speed or terrain? Loose wires might make it jump ... bad dampening in the instrument panel can make them move all over from my experience with other cars.

I don't know if the instrument panel gauge is some kind of stepper motor or not, which might help if we knew that.

66 Riviera
09 Civic Si Sedan
Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Gallery: 11

Bouncing tachometer = bad alternator. not sure on the speedometer.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Notes on All in One Installation

Well,
I am finally driving my Rover again after lots of hook up work. Its good timing with the first snow of the year. It runs pretty well considering how much was taken apart / swapped / or rebuilt. I still have some CELs to work out, but until I get the adaptive values reset with a test book this week - I don't think things can't be diagnosed further since all sensors are new including TPS.

Anyway, a few notes on the installation should anyone be looking at doing this job.

1. Putting the engine and transmission in together with out the transfer case was the easiest part, but some considerations to remember.

2. The transfer case is a monster so lots of help, transmission jack, or LR adapter plate for lift would all be helpful. I ended up setting the TC in with my legs up under the car just to keep things lined up. This is much easier without any of the Emergency brake installed. I wish that it could all be installed in one piece (meaning with TC attached to back of tranny), but that was not going to happen. I saved by putting the engine and transmission in together, but the TC took most of an afternoon and lots of wheaties.

3. Before you tilt the assembly back up to level you can install the TC shift linkage under the car (no radiator or fan installed yet). This was pretty easy if you can get up above the TC with your head to see what you are doing. Make sure it all works and grease those joints well as that is what locks up often.

4. Get all your wiring harness connectors installed and ready for the 02 sensors before you install the exhaust or tilt the transmission back up.

5. Don't forget the front bolt on the Transfer case. It can be installed after the fact, but that is not as much fun with the driveshafts installed.

6. Don't forget the two wire connections for the diff-lock sensor on top of the TC by the shift linkage attachment points. Not fun after the fact.

6. Install the Emergency brake, cables and adjust after the TC is mounted. It helps to go ahead and adjust the emergency brake now while the driveshafts are off. This takes two people, one for inside the car.

7. Install the crossmember and exhaust only after you know everything is all wired up and you have changed your transmission filter. Now is the time to do that if you have not already.

Overall, its a big job because the parts are so heavy and cumbersome, but there is plenty of room and it can be done in a garage with just floor jacks.
I may have another troubleshooting post for idle speed issues if I don't get those worked out. But at least it is back on the road.

I may be parting with the spare TC and transmission that were working (210k miles) once this swap has proved itself - I am here in Asheville NC if anyone might be interested. I have a few decent parts (brush bar, front bumper)
Attached Thumbnails
All in One Engine-Transmission-Transfer Case installation-photo.jpg  

66 Riviera
09 Civic Si Sedan
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Gallery: 11

dude, I love asheville!! There is a crazy bar called the Admiral... man, good times!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

That is the most awesome Rover engine I have ever seen. Brilliant work and better than new as they were probably already leaving puddles back then.

Congratulations on a beautiful job
Wishfuldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.