Best year Discovery? - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Gallery: 0

When your back windows stop working thats a free fix.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Im going to go look at a 1998 Disco I, the guy says hes selling it for his uncle who was a GM technician. Looks clean from the pics. $2900 sound like a good price?
RRhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Is that a good price?
Depends.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've not had much time behind the wheel of a disco 1, but had an 04 for a while and love how these trucks ride and look. I was in the same position as you, if you want comfort and features go disco 2, but from what I've found so far if you want less crap to deal with and more off road capability and still comfortable on the road find a good low mileage disco 1. I just bought a 1998 50 th anniversary edition with 75,000 miles on it for 1500.00, granted I think I stole it, but irregardless there out there if your patient. It has a few issues but it's drivable, the biggest problem is it needs paint work.

"you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves"
Abe Lincoln

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE 60,000 miles (wife's)

2004 Discovery SE7, 170,000 miles
Mods coming soon!!
Wish List:
2" Terrafima lift
Tactical Rover front and rear bumpers
Warn winch
Safari snorkel
Voyager rack (with tent modification)

1998 Discovery, sold but not forgotten
Rover75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

IMO '95 is the best year disco. Distributor ignition is stupid easy to sort out problems with.
Swivels have drain plugs.
No alarm spider to flake out on you.
Emissions is easy to pass, if you have it in your area.
In most places you can do an engine conversion if you want, without emissions issues.
Available with a 5-speed if you're interested in that.

Having owned a post '95 Disco I can honestly say I'd never buy another one newer than '95.

I like the older RRC also, but they aren't available with the 5-speed.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

I like them all for different reasons. RRC is a whole different animal even though the chassis and running gear is largely the same. RRC seems taller geared, less wind resistance and more comfortable on the highway. Mine is a 94LWB with the 4.2 which feels between the 4.0 in my 98D1 and the 4.6 in my 03D2. Seats in the RRC feel more comfortable than the 98 LSE which has different seats than the standard D1...D1 does feel like a tougher truck than the RRC. RRC is more stationwagon like in all aspects, D1 more SUV.
The early trucks have a more coach built feel to them wheras the D2 feels more mass produced. More molded plastics and more gadgets. The drive really is not much different at all between the two other than the D2 having a lot more power if it is a 2003-2004 with the 4.6 which is also it's achilles heel. By the time the 4.6 came out, the molds were so worn that the castings were less than acceptable. Many suffered pourosity issues and common head gasket issues. Ours has been good, but it is a risk on any of them. As with anything else, if you can turn your own wrenches, it's not a big deal nor prohibitively expensive. Good luck in your search. One word of caution, I started with one Land Rover and now have 5... They have a tendancy to breed lol.
1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington
saharatj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.