Changing Tranny fluid - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
jimbob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changing Tranny fluid

Any special thing I should know about this? I'd like to avoid a dealer if possible. How about AAMCO?
The vehicle has 172k but runs fine, aside from the typical LR quirks!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Forward!

First off how does the fluid look/smell? Is it a good red color, or is it brown? Does it smell burnt? If it's brown or smells burnt leave it alone! If you put new fluid in it you will kill your trans.! If it looks all alright, then pop open the drain plug and let it drain out, and with that kind of mileage a filter change might also be on the ticket IMO. That's all the dealer does. With my old RRC that had about fifty thousand more miles I used one of those high mileage trans. fluids with Lucas trans. additive with very good results.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:49 PM

Just curious, why would it kill the transmission if the fluid already there was bad? Just for a reminder, I'm the guy who "accidentally changed" the ATF this past weekend. It was mostly reddish color and fairly clear. But not as nice as the new stuff I put in. Also when you drain it, you only get about half the amount out that's in there.. is that right.. and is that because the filter will block off the rest from freely pouring out? I got about 3 or 4 quarts out.. then plugged it back up.. then went back opened the plug again and another quart came out.. (must have slowly passed through filter).

Also important I think.. and please correct me... but when I added the new fluid in.. I wanted to be very careful.. so I checked the dipstick after every quart added.. and it showed full right away.. but I noticed on the dipstick itself is says.. "Check when cool, with engine on and gear in neutral" Or something like that. So I fired it up.. put it in neutral and checked the ATF dipstick again and it was bone dry. Shut her down right away added another quart.. turned on engine.. bone dry. Anyway I did that until I had added 5 quarts.. then with the engine on in neutral finally I had the perfect amount on the dipstick.

Did I do it right? Don't say no.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Workin' and Wheelin'...

The fundamentals of an auto trans are confusing sometimes. But inside these trans. are bands and clutch packs that do the shifting for us and put drives into gears so we can reverse and four forward gears, and of course Neutral. Changing or should I say flushing the entire trans. of ATF with high miles will allow these bands and clutch packs to breath out and expand, and with new fluid going in, it can cause these clutch packs and bands to slip and the trans. becomes inoperable.

Just doing an average pan drop or drain (like what you did Max) shouldn't hurt things, it would've been preferable that you should've replaced the trans. filter, but I think you can get away with it for now. Plus when you do a pan drop/drain the fluid from the trans., you aren't removing all the fluid, there is still a decent amount in the trans., which is enough to keep those clutch packs and bands from expanding. Then while topping it off with the 5 quarts you put in, you are good to go.

Jimbob, with the amount of miles on the truck just do a pan drop. It shouldn't hurt anything, just don't take the truck to a shop (like what you're trying to avoid) and have them do a flush, it will hurt things. Just have a decent size drain pan ready to catch some fluid when you pull the drain plug from the trans. pan. Almost forgot, you might wanna get a filter kit for the trans. as well. I mean while you're under there, you might as well change out the filter and gasket (gasket should come with a kit). Once you've drained all the fluid, dropped the pan (you might have to remove a crossmember on the chassis to to better access the pan for removal, not sure), and change the filter and O rings, bolt everything back up snuggly not cramming the new gasket on the pan, tighten every other bolt to avoid uneven spread of the gasket. Then go ahead, pop the hood, and start adding fluid, which sounds like 5-6 quarts, have 6 to be safe. Once you see a reading on the dip stick (with engine off), start engine, I cycle the gears all the way and then end back in Neutral, then keep the engine running, and top her off to the right level.

All this has to be done with the engine cool as well as the tran. of course.

Good luck!

Pat Albaugh, Midwest Moderator

"Diffage" -the point at which the truck's differential makes contact with the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit my RRC and others here!(updated as of September 15, 2006)

1995 RRC LWB

-LT265/75R16 Pathfinder All Terrains
-RTE 2" Lift Springs
-Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks (from DAP Enterprises)
-KMC Front Diff Guard
-4 Desert Fox 55 watt Lighting
-Radio Shack CB Radio (never know when signal fails on a cell phone)
-2 Halogen Super Sport 100 watt forward lights
-Custom slim style front bumper w/ integrated bull bar
-Lowe's Special "Homemade" Snorkel
-T-Case out of an 92' RRC
-Custom full length roof rack
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Ian Matthews

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
The reason that you only get half the oil out when draining is due to the amount of oil in the torque convertor.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
jimbob

Thanks for the feedback
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:12 PM

i just gotta say that changing the transmission filter is a royal pain in the ass as far as takin that crossmember off and the exhaust being in the way....i quit halfway through cuz i woulda broke my rusted exhaust
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 PM

I mistakenly emptied out my transmission fluid while trying to change my oil, what should i do as far as replacing it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 AM
Poseur, Rice Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewclare25 View Post
i just gotta say that changing the transmission filter is a royal pain in the ass as far as takin that crossmember off and the exhaust being in the way....i quit halfway through cuz i woulda broke my rusted exhaust
X2.

I completed my job, but it was a pain in the ass. Cross member had to come down, and the exhaust also had to be dropped. If you plan on doing this, make sure you have plenty of time, and start be dropping the cross member before you start unbolting the trans. cover.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:39 PM

ok i had the same question about changing the filter on the transmission but im still a little fuzzy on when i can and cant. my tranny fluid is a golden brown and it doesnt smell burnt to me just smells like old oil. what does the burnt oil smell like really? and even though its brown can i drop the pan and change the fitler but not get it flushed?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 AM

Mine was dark and smelled like used motor oil also but I went ahead and changed the filter/flushed the trany anyway. That was last month and a couple of hundred miles ago, no problems...yet.

Always remember that "no good deed goes unpunished".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.