Clicking relay - no start - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Clicking relay - no start

Hi again all. I'm hoping someone will have an idea on this situation. when I tried to start the engine a relay under the glove box of my 1998 Disco 4.0 began clicking rapidly and it wouldn't turn over at first but did after a few seconds but wouldn't start. I left the key in the ignition position to try and locate the sound. After a minute the clicking stopped and I tried it again and it worked. Later that day it started clicking again but this time wouldn't stop. Now the engine turns over sometimes and other times it doesn't. When it turns over however it won't start. I found the relay in a yellow box, removed the relay, took it apart and gave it a cleaning, and replaced it with no difference. I'm going through the RAVE manual over the past two days and can't find the relay to trace the circuit.

The battery is new. It's not the clicking that accompanies the starter with a weak battery. The clicking comes on when the key is in the second or ignition position, not in the third or starting position although it will stay on while cranking the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Piranhaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Use the wire colors on the relay base to guide you in the ETM.

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
97 Disco SE

Default clicking relay

Hey pirhana boy,

DId you ever solve the clicking relay problem? I'm having the same issue and i'm looking fo ideas....?
montanarover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rover-Fixer-Upper

Default Same here

I have the exact same issue... it has to be water in an inportant box like the ECU... reason being, I have two bad hols in my front fenders blasting water up into the engine compartment as I drive.

area51Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rover-Fixer-Upper

Default Took ECM apart... Found Salt!!

Yesterday I took the ECM apart (located under the hood between washer resevior and fender PS)

It was Full of salt that acumulated through 3 drain hols in the bottom corner. I guess salt in solution with water from the road in winter was splashing onto the bottom of the ECM because of the rust hole in my wheel well PS. once inside the water drained out and the salt cristalized again.

So I Cleaned it out and there is no visual damage to any circuit components or the board but it was pretty obvious it was shorting some contacts ( i think salt is very conductive)

Once it was fixed up and put back in the same issue and the alarm was also going off until I pulled the positive from the battery.

Is my ECM screwed now?

area51Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.