Differential Fluid Change - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Differential Fluid Change

could somebody walk me through how to change my differential fluid on my 1997 disco 1
drewclare25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Gallery: 2

Go for a 20 minute drive (to get the 90 weight warmed up). Put a pan beneath the drain plug, put your 1/2" ratchet head (the square end of the ratchet, without a socket) into the plug and unscrew it, normal, righthanded thread. Same for the fill plug (the one halfway up the banjo) give it a few minutes to drain out. Fill with 1 3/4 quarts of 90 or 1 1/2 quarts 90, and a pint of lucas gear oil. While you're under there, unscrew your axle breathers and check to see they aren't plugged up. Before you dispose of the old gear oil, take a magnetic tool wand, if you have one and swirl it around in the oil for a minute, and see if you collect any steel shavings. Hopefully not!
TerryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Gallery: 2
Default Forgot to mention.

Buy the gear oil in the one quart bottles with the little clip off spigots. (preferably the day before you plan on doing this) and leave it in doors so it, too, is nice and warm. Do your front axle first, because, on a disco, it's nearly impossible to get the bottle up high enough up front, to get it all in, so after about half the bottle is squirted in, refill it and do it again. You won't have any trouble back aft, it's just a tight fit between the front of the front axle and the steering.
TerryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

drewclare25,
I always tell people to get the fill plug out first. That way if you can't get it off (ie your breaker bar isn't large enough) you won't have an empty diff that you can't refill.
Bogatyr
1970 IIa 88" (parts truck - need any parts?)
1966 IIa 109" (next project...)
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did you ever try to build a pressure bottle ???
Using the oil plastic bottle, drill a hole near the neck and insert an air valve. Drill a 1/2" hole in the cover and insert a small size (but a bit bigger then the hole)clear plastic hose in it all the way to the bottom. Fill in the oil into the bottle. Clear hose in the upper filling hole. Connect a foot(or low pressure air compressor) air pump to the air valve. Voila !
Start pumping and look to see the oil going up into the differential. It worked for me, especially when the bottle does not fit between the boddy and the feeding hole.

Yes the bottle will expend (blimp) but the air pressure will push out the oil via the tube especially if you oil is warm. It is not magic it's Physic my dear Warson !
Old 02-25-2005, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

There is always the option of simple buying a pump that fits on top of the oil bottle. Amsoil has one! Has a little pump and tube. Makes life a lot easier!
texasrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.