Disco engine swap? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Disco engine swap?

I am contemplating swapping the engine in my disco...maybe a tranny as well but using the stock transfer case. The engines I am entertaining...small block chevy/Ford V8 (5.0/4.6) or Jeep 4.2 Straight 6.

I searched for threads but most were for 110's. Anyone done a conversion and what issues arose?

Thanks!
dirkmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Why are you wanting to switch out engines?
Mike
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

dirkmc3: Have you measured if there is room for the Jeep six? Those sixes have a long and successful history (even raced at Indy once or twice) They are good engines but I suspect they are a bit long to fit easily in a Disco. I know that a number of people are interested in switching to a Mercedes 5 cylinder (turbo) diesel - fabulous engine. There is a thread in the Hybrid forum. I have done no Disco engine swaps myself.
pavel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 04:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Best 4X4XFar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmc3
I am contemplating swapping the engine in my disco...maybe a tranny as well but using the stock transfer case. The engines I am entertaining...small block chevy/Ford V8 (5.0/4.6) or Jeep 4.2 Straight 6.

I searched for threads but most were for 110's. Anyone done a conversion and what issues arose?

Thanks!
Another - why?

Chevy small blocks have been used in Range Rovers so they should fit a Discovery with no problems, however you may have to fab and customise quite a bit. Being LHD you will face different problems to RHD vehicles here in the UK.

I know one big issue was the relocation of the power steering pump, it ended up too close to the exhaust manifold and kept buring it out.

Don't see the point of the Jeep 4.2, they are pigs in stock carbed for (130'ish bhp) plus they are long and heavy.

Basically anyswap you do will add more weight over the front of the vehicle. The Rover V8 is great because it is fairly compact and weighs about the same a a cast iron 4 cylinder engine.

With the 3.9/4.0 variants a good exhaust, headers, intake and cam should see you at 250bhp+ while still retaining driveabilty (on/off road) and similar mpg. If you want more then a spuercharger or turbo setup would work and probably wouldn't cost anymore than an engine swap.

If I was going to swap the Rover V8 out for another petrol engine then a Chevy LS1 would probably be the best bet, as it is still fairly compact and lightweight and has ~345bhp straight off in stock form. The Jaguar DOHC V8 (4.0/4.2) would be a good swap also but a little more involved and I guess in the US more expensive.

Another bonus with the LS1 is GM offer a carb conversion kit so it will make wiring it in easy.

Personally I'd stick with the Rover lump though, these are off roaders not dragsters. Still each to their own

Mods:Allisport LARGE FMIC | Allisport Tuned | Simex Jungle Trekker II 33.11.50R15 Tyres | 15x8 8 Spokes | Heavy Duty Uprated Suspension (shocks & springs) | Wheel arch Flares | 1" Wheel Spacers | Custom Straight Thru Exhaust | Custom Trimmed Front bumper with twin NATO Hooks | Custom Rear Bumper with single Large NATO Hook 360˚ Swival | Front Light Guards | Custom Aluminium Rear Floor | Bonnet Straps | 100w Spot Lights | Upgraded Headlights

The Best 4X4XFar
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

None of those engines listed would be on my list of possibilities. The Ford Transit diesels, Isuzu diesels, Mercedes gas or diesel...
Former Rovers
2004 Modded "S" Disco, R.I.P.
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Muddy Oval is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 05:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Best 4X4XFar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Oval
None of those engines listed would be on my list of possibilities. The Ford Transit diesels, Isuzu diesels, Mercedes gas or diesel...
oo horrible choices if you want a diesel why not stick with Land Rovers own?? The Tdi's are good units and the TD5 is good for 190-200bhp

Mods:Allisport LARGE FMIC | Allisport Tuned | Simex Jungle Trekker II 33.11.50R15 Tyres | 15x8 8 Spokes | Heavy Duty Uprated Suspension (shocks & springs) | Wheel arch Flares | 1" Wheel Spacers | Custom Straight Thru Exhaust | Custom Trimmed Front bumper with twin NATO Hooks | Custom Rear Bumper with single Large NATO Hook 360˚ Swival | Front Light Guards | Custom Aluminium Rear Floor | Bonnet Straps | 100w Spot Lights | Upgraded Headlights

The Best 4X4XFar
Old 05-03-2006, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

Stock Rover engines are an obvious choice- I was just listing some of the alternatives we've seen. The Mercedes diesel is actually far better than the Rover variants and the Isuzu... well, it's known for lasting longer.
Former Rovers
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

IMHO swapping out a Landy enginge for another non Landy engine is like dating a woman with silicone implants, sure they may look and feel nice but it isn't the real thing. Keep it real man.

Pete
pete2528ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Best 4X4XFar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Oval
Stock Rover engines are an obvious choice- I was just listing some of the alternatives we've seen. The Mercedes diesel is actually far better than the Rover variants and the Isuzu... well, it's known for lasting longer.
ummm I would question the Merc and Isuzu engines. Tdi's are generally good for 200k can't really complain at that.

The Best 4X4XFar
Old 05-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

What Mercedes diesel would you use? The e300 is only what, 80HP? Acually, and SB Chevy backed with a 700R4, and dana 300 t-case wold be a cool little set-up. Top it off with a Holley fuel injection kit and it would be a bad little set-up. Cost, on the other hand, is a different story.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

There's a guy that brought in a 109 here with a diesel taken from an older Mercedes sedan- he 'tinkered' with it and can cruise at comfy highway speed with it and gets nice range from it.
Former Rovers
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Old 11-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default LS1 engine swap in Range Rover Classic

The LS1 engine fits in Range Rover Classic just fine. It is close to ideal in that it's an aluminum v8, quite compact and powerful. It is very reliable. The GM PCM (Powertrain Control Module, which is GM speak for Engine computer) can be easily tuned/reprogrammed, at least in the US there are plenty of places that offer this service. I would discourage going the carb route.

The LS1 (5.7) engines from Corvettes and F-body (Camaro, Firebird) cars are readily available, some are take-offs as people go to LS6, LS2, LS3 and LS7. You will need a wiring harness and a GM PCM. The problem is that even the least powerful version of LSx, namely being LS1, still makes more power that the LR drivetrain can handle. So don't bother with better flowing heads and other performance upgrades. Although, if you upgrade your entire drivetrain you could use the more powerful LSx engines.

Transmission - 4L80 is the stronger one, bolts to LS1 without any problems, and a company in Australia makes an adapter for the LR transfer case. It should be possible to fit 700R4 or 4L60E although I am not sure about the adapter for these. The ZF 4HP22, even when upgraded with stronger parts from 4HP24 (bell housing, torque converter, etc.) is still no match for LS1. Somebody somewhere probably makes an adapter for mating LS1 to ZF 4HP transmission, but I would not recommend going this route.

The Disco uses a different transfer case than Classic. Classic uses Borg-Warner and Disco uses LT230. The adapter for 4L80 was for LT230, so the Borg-Warner transfer case was replaced with LT230 at the time of the swap. IMHO the LR transfer case is iffy, it was never designed for this kind of power. It is likely the weakest point of the swap. I would be surprised if it held up in the long run, given almost double the horsepower and torque. Stronger transfer cases are available for 4L80 and 4L60E. You will need to fabricate custom driveshafts, which is no big deal for a competent 4x4 shop. The stock LR driveshafts and u-joints are too weak for LS1 anyway.

The LR axles are too weak, even the beefier versions found in later model LWB classics with 4.2 engine. You will need stronger axles, Mosers are the best but they are atrociously expensive. Stronger axle shafts are available for LR axles, but the diffs won't hold up for long with LS1.

The LR power steering pump produces lower pressure than LS1 power steering pump. This minor nuisance can be solved with different diameter pulley and changing the regulator valve.

Basically, if you want the truck to be reliable, by the time you are done modifying the only pieces left from the Land Rover are frame, suspension, body and interior.

Long story short, an LS1 swap is a lot of work, not worth it unless you actually enjoy doing the fabrication and engineering.

P.S. this is all second-hand knowledge, I am not the person who did the swap and I am not guaranteeing this information to be 100% accurate. Take it with a grain of salt.

P.P.S. Please don't misinterpret my words about weakness of LR drivetrain as knocking on the Rover. It was never designed for a 350+ horses, so it is unable to handle it. If you go with a modern V6, like ford Duratec you could probably retain most or the LR drivetrain, but the swap would be pointless as you would spend a lot to gain almost nothing.
juha_teuvonnen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

boy you dug up a old thread lol

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

[quote=juha_teuvonnen;233676]The LS1 engine fits in Range Rover Classic just fine. It is close to ideal in that it's an aluminum v8, quite compact and powerful. It is very reliable. The GM PCM (Powertrain Control Module, which is GM speak for Engine computer) can be easily tuned/reprogrammed, at least in the US there are plenty of places that offer this service.

The LS1 (5.7) engines from Corvettes and F-body (Camaro, Firebird) cars are readily available, some are take-offs as people go to LS6, LS2, LS3 and LS7. You will need a wiring harness and a GM PCM.

Basically, if you want the truck to be reliable, by the time you are done modifying the only pieces left from the Land Rover are frame, suspension, body and interior.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

I love Disco's but have never owned one because of high maintenance rumors.
Given the cheap used car priced tags on Discos, I wonder if I could get my dream car, with decent hp (250+hp) and reliability too?

If any of you have an educated guess. How much would it cost to do the LS1 conversion with drivetrain, u-joint, axle swaps, if I had it done at an experienced shop? Do you have any idea?

Is it the engines in Discos that have the most issues or is it the electrical?

Thank you , Julie
Chewtheredpill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have a 2004 discovery that needs engine replaced. Can I put in a 2000 4.0L instead of the 4.6L?
Kenny:) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.