Door lock actuator replacement - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Door lock actuator replacement

The dealership told me that I need a new door lock actuator. The remote will not open the door completely. They want an obscene amount of money to to do this. Approximatey $800. I can purchase the part for $227. How hard is this to do myself? How do you acces the part? Does the side panel come off easily?
jlonigro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

i believe its pretty easy, the inner door just pulls off. it is held on by plugs that snap in. then theres a plastic sheet held on by some kind of sticky black sealant. just peel that out of the way, then you should be able to access it pretty easily. mine is broken too, it was making a machine gun noise when i would lock or unlock the doors. so i just went in there and unplugged the actuator so it only works manually now. i think it should be pretty easy to do it yourself, save that money for something else.
Disco 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2007, 05:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Start over, go to http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=296
and buy a used one from the from $50 and up and they are guaranteed used parts that have been tested prior to shipping.
Mike
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's awesome. Thanks for the link. I'm just a bit concerned about taking off the panel. Any further details on what and how to do it would much appreciated. Does the speaker need to be removed first? Does it pry off from a certain point? Does reinstall easily? Things of this nature concern me.
jlonigro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

jlonigro: Get yourself a Haynes manual!!! Here are the first few steps to gain access to the locking mechanism/actuator.
1 disconnect battery (this will decommission your radio if you don't prepare first)
2 take off armrest (2 screws)
3 remove door lock handle surround (1 screw)
4 lever off the door trim panel all the way around (screwdriver) & lift up
5 undo the speaker wires & remove the door trim panel
6 peel off the plastic seal

You'll probably destroy some of the plastic fasteners that hold the trim panel on - get replacements at an auto parts store, not the dealer. I've never look at the actuator on our '96 D1 but wonder if this site might be useful:<http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/DoorLock/doorlock.htm>
Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Winnipeg Thrashers...

Take it apart first and make sure it's not the circular spring that's broken. Much cheaper fix than anything.
Capt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Direct bolt in replacement for all but driver's side. $5.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=330-010

Whole kit including driver's side 5 wire: $40.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=330-013

Don't waste your money on a used one.
lordkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

easy fix-did mine in under two hours with used part-use a carpenter flat bar to remove the panel, work your way around slow and comes off easy
russdonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
KSN

Default Actuator Chatter

Hi,

The Left rear door lock actuator on my 1999 D1 SD has been 'chattering' any time I lock the doors - I followed the panel removal advice and disconnected the actuator until I would be able to purchase a replacement.

However...

When I did that and then tested the door lock mechanism to ensure the chatter was only coming from the actuator, suddenly (and now persistently) the rear cargo door actuator (which didn't chatter before) is now chattering?

Any insight on this?

(*Note: Chattering is meant to refer to a gear slipping noise coming from the actuator that sounds like a rat-tat-tat-tat-tat whenever the lock is closed)

Thanks

Owner of a Legally Stolen Land Rover.... and a wonderful story to boot!

1999 Discovery I SD
KSN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

my 97 did the same thing. the plastic linkage clip had broken and it allowed too much play. then the rod fell out and i found out that when I thought I was locking the doors. I wasnt. the rear was unlocked for a while before i noticed. simple fix. pull off the rear panel and check the rod clip. also make sure the actuator has not come loose
gasnell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.