Drivetrain Swap - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drivetrain Swap

Hi All, I currently have a '96 automatic transmission Disco with very high milage that won't last much longer, I also have a running and driving lower milage '96 Disco with an R380 trans(manual) as a parts rig. Both trucks have the same 4.0 GEMS motor. I am wondering since both cars are the same year and have the same motor, what all will I need to do the swap of the lower mileage motor and manual trans into my Disco that has higher miles and automatic trans. I figure the motor, transmission, transfer case, pedals, and ECU. Is there anything else? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am confused as to if it will work, and without too much hassle. Thank you for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Swap over the ECU as well. Pretty straightforward swap, just allot of work. If you haven't noticed I'm fairly close to you........ just noticed you mentioned that, your way ahead of me already.

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihscouts View Post
Swap over the ECU as well. Pretty straightforward swap, just allot of work. If you haven't noticed I'm fairly close to you........ just noticed you mentioned that, your way ahead of me already.
Aye thats awesome! I'm currently in Ann Arbor for school, but live in TC in the summer. I don't really want to pay anyone to do the swap either so hopefully its not too painful. Do you, or anyone know of a guide or something I could buy that would assist me on the swap? If not I know of some people who have swapped various drivetrains and could have some good insight.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
The service manual is called the Rave, google it. It's free and 590mb. It's handy to have.

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.