Engine stays on after ignition is off. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Engine stays on after ignition is off.

Just started happening, I turn the key to the off poistion so the engine turns off but it doesnt.. After a minute then it turns off. I have no idea what might be causing this

Militant-Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Any ideas guys? First it was a minute now the time it takes to shut off is getting longer and longer.. I have no clue... Earlier in the week I had a mechanic do some electrical work on the rear windows, he "bypassed something to give the rear windows power." could this be associated with the ignition?

Old 08-14-2005, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check your idle speed isn't too high.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is it dieseling or still running? Maybe you should test to see if the ignition is still firing when you turn the key off. Hook up a timing light and see if it still flashes or something. What's causing it to shutdown? Do you think the engine is still running until the fuel pressure subsides?
O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2005, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hopefully its not injectors staying open!!

That can put your engine up to the red line with no way of shutting it off in an auto - at least in a manual you can pop the clutch in 5th with the brakes on and stall the engine.

Black '87 Suzuki Samurai, rock crawler :

Black '94 Discovery SI V8i, 5 spd (Parked. Won't start- Probably a bad ground, alarm gremlins)

--## If you have enough time to do something over again, you had enough time to do it right the first time. ##--
Black Magic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 01:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Its just normal idle and after a few mins the engine just shuts off.. Another thing I notice is that the engine shuts off when I close the driver door 0_o This problem is getting weirder and weirder..

Old 08-18-2005, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Have had it occur on a bike was given the reason that the carbon build up was becoming red hot and even though the electrical system was turned off this was enough to ignite the fuel being drawn through as the pistons kept firing. This was with carbies so don't no if it would occur with injectors, may be if as Black magic suggests injectors staying open.
downunderdisco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I ran a fuel injector cleaner on her about a month ago..

Old 08-26-2005, 06:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would have that mechanic undo what he did to "fix" your rear windows. There is a delay feature where if you shut off the truck, you still have time to operate accessories like the windows. I bet he somehow wired the ignition accidently to do the same. Opening and closing the door deactivates the delay feature. So thats probably why it the engine shuts off

BTW, your rear window problem can be fixed by either replacing the window lift ECU under the glove box. Or you could resolder the faulty joints : http://discoweb.org/window/index.htm

Good luck
sven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
I would have that mechanic undo what he did to "fix" your rear windows. There is a delay feature where if you shut off the truck, you still have time to operate accessories like the windows. I bet he somehow wired the ignition accidently to do the same. Opening and closing the door deactivates the delay feature. So thats probably why it the engine shuts off

BTW, your rear window problem can be fixed by either replacing the window lift ECU under the glove box. Or you could resolder the faulty joints : http://discoweb.org/window/index.htm

Good luck
You Rock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.