Fuel Pump Problem on 1998 Land Rover Disco - Please Help! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Pump Problem on 1998 Land Rover Disco - Please Help!

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum have a major problem with my Disco.
Its a 1998 Land Rover Disco 50th Anniversary Edition with 142xxx miles on it
It all started when I was working on the disco in my driveway with my dad, we were changing out the thermostat and coolant hoses on it because they hadn't been changed out before. After changing out the thermostat and hoses we decided to check if there were going to be any leaks. So, I got my dad to start up the car and it started up easily and I do a small leak. I got him to turn it off I fixed the leaking hose connection and then asked him to start it up again. This time when he went to start it up it would just crank but not fire. When this happened I heard a noise on the drivers side other than the cranking. So we sprayed some carb cleaner fluid into the intake hose and it fired but no fuel going to the engine. We assumed it was a relay so we changed out both fuel pump relays, the one in the drivers side panel and the relay on the passenger side of the engine compartmen, with no luck and I had pressed down the interia switch button everyone says is a way to fix this but nothing has changed. I am wondering if it could be the fuel pump itself or a fuel filter problem. I am running out of ideas and options of what to do, I am in college so I'm busy working on this car and classes! Any ideas are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Most likely you knocked something loose while working under there.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Special Agent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
I'm thinking fuel pump inertia switch
Not sure on a d1 but it is on the pass. Firewall on a d2

Happy Happy Happy

2002 D2 se7 6 seater . complete engine rebuild with flanged liners , 2 inch lift, terrafirma shocks, LT 275/65r18 Cooper stt tires, d1 modified front bumper, safety devices rack, 30" l.e.d. Light bar
2004 D2 se5 (sold)
2001 D2 se5 (parts truck)
2000 D2 se7 (retired)
1997 D1 (sold)
1957 Series 1 88" future projet
2006 Suburu legacy outback (gets me around when the disco is not)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Check fuses in engine bay and under steering wheel, that's the norm. Not much on drivers side other than TPS, IACV, MAF, 2 coolant sensors and crank sensor near trans. Fuel Pressure Regulator is vacuum operated and fuel temp sensor on rail is only items fuel related. What did the sound remind you of?

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:09 PM

If you did the lower rad hose, maybe you knocked the cam sensor connection loose. It's in that neighborhood.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Waiting?????

I have heard a vicious rumor that this sort of thing happens.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 PM

Yeah- it's pretty typical that people want others to share with them, but once they get their fix, the split and don't care to enlighten the rest of us on how it was fixed.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFROVN View Post
Waiting?????

I have heard a vicious rumor that this sort of thing happens.....
I don't know if you've noticed but this site is for the most part crickets. Working to resurrect it once more, we'll see. I just sweep the hallways here once and awhile. The good thing about more member participation is that you get more opinions and ideas AND experience...... and here you get four usuals on a good day and five if Army isn't working 16 hour duty days or playing with himself.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:19 PM

A year ago there were a bunch of active regulars- or so it seems.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 PM

I must admit, I am a member of a few forums and I usually keep to myself, because usually guys with more knowledge than me beat me to the punch...and usually guys that are quite pissed off, because their truck is broken, don't appreciate my twisted, snarky sense of humor....
But, if It can be fixed with bailing wire, gum and a hammer...I'm your guy.....McGiver calls me.....LOL

That's why my trail tool box has a backpack in it, so I can hike home....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

I'd take supplies but I'm not walking out without my truck.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihscouts View Post
I'd take supplies but I'm not walking out without my truck.
EXCELLENT visual... tow strap over your shoulder....smiles!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My guess would be fuel pump. I bought one on ebay for about $65 and put it in last July. Been working fine ever since.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notny41 View Post
My guess would be fuel pump. I bought one on ebay for about $65 and put it in last July. Been working fine ever since.
I think we would all like to know more about that $65.00 fuel pump for a '98 Disco w/ A 4.0 GEMS w/ AEL (Advanced Evaporative Loss system)
I have heard of some guys converting a Cadillac pump, for cheap and I have also seen pumps for the pre AEL Discos, for pretty cheap, but I have NOT seen a cheap one for my, or DiscomanSC's, truck...
I think the difference is the fuel pressure and some of the wiring...I may stand corrected, but...very curious....and always willing to learn

Just because you can afford to BUY a Land Rover...Doesn't mean you can afford to OWN a Land Rover...."BEND ROVER"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.