HVAC Electrical Issue - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Throwing Money at It

Gallery: 0
Default HVAC Electrical Issue

1995 Discovery NAS

Okay. I have two issues, they may or may not be one issue, I dunno if they're related. First, when my blower motor was on high(position 4), it would mostly work normally, but occasionally it would cut out. When it cut out, a gentle tap to the blower motor switch would get it to cut right back in. A couple weeks ago, it started cutting out more frequently, and sometimes it would come in and out very rapidly, to the point where I could hear a relay clicking in the right-hand footwell.

Issue two; when I heard that, I started just leaving the heater in position 3. After about an hour of driving, I apparently lost all power to the HVAC system. My Recirc light went out, even though it was on, AC light wouldn't come on, and the blower motor cut out. I turned the whole system off, and a few minutes later, it came back on. This cycle repeated for two days, before the HVAC system just lost all power and never came back. I checked the fuses in the dash box, and they were all good, so I'm at a bit of a loss of where to look now. Advice?
Tacticool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

1-thats normal for the DI, dont use 4th on the fan speed.
2-the switch overheated, dont use 3rd on the fan speed for long periods.

Remove the HVAC control panel, take the fan switch out and clean it, rough up the copper contacts with a emery cloth, clean again, put it all back.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Throwing Money at It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike555 View Post
1-thats normal for the DI, dont use 4th on the fan speed.
2-the switch overheated, dont use 3rd on the fan speed for long periods.

Remove the HVAC control panel, take the fan switch out and clean it, rough up the copper contacts with a emery cloth, clean again, put it all back.
1- Love it. The British cannot into wiring.
2- I'll give this a shot after work tomorrow, if you're right I'll be incredibly happy.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Throwing Money at It

Quote:
Okay, I did this just now, contacts were very dirty and pitted in a few places, cleaned them up to shiny new copper with emery cloth, but nothing changed.

As it stands, I don't appear to have power to my HVAC system. The Recirculating button doesn't light up when engaged, regardless of blower switch position, and I don't have blower on any setting. Where should I go from here? Is there a relay that powers it? Or is it just fused? Is it just the fuse under the steering wheel, or is there another I should look for?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thats all I got man, sorry.
When it comes to electrical stuff I can change a light bulb if someone helps me, otherwise I'm useless.
There is a fuse box under the hood, I do not know if that has any fuse for the HVAC or not.
I assume you checked the fuses under the dash.
It sounds to me like a blown fuse or bad relay, check the a/c fuse too.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Throwing Money at It

Quote:
Thats all I got man, sorry.
When it comes to electrical stuff I can change a light bulb if someone helps me, otherwise I'm useless.
There is a fuse box under the hood, I do not know if that has any fuse for the HVAC or not.
I assume you checked the fuses under the dash.
It sounds to me like a blown fuse or bad relay, check the a/c fuse too.
Checked all the fuses, they're all good, I'm trying to check relays now, but I have no clue which one is the HVAC relay.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I dont either.
Have you checked the RAVE repair manual?
Its a free download.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

There's 25 pages in the RAVE on the blower controls and how to trouble shoot them - you should do some reading

Good luck!
mmaesner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

In the Rave it has all the relays, inline fuses, solenoids and narrative. It has wire diagrams, location tables and pictures where everything is located. Depending on how you have your Adobe Acrobat Reader set up the Rave can be very easy to use. Forward and Back buttons, Page Up and Page Down buttons and a Search box with "Find Previous" and "Find Next" buttons helps. I used to be a Unix server admin, electrical shop forman and years of military electronics training so I have all the tools anyone could want.

I believe you'll want to check an inline fuse (blade type like what's under the dash in the main fuse panel). It's located in the wire loom in back of the blower motor. It's 10A and it's for the air recirculation solenoid which activates a damper.

If you have the black cardboard facia mounted under the passenger side of the dash it's above that so you'll have to remove the facia.

Hope that kinda helps....
Old 12-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Throwing Money at It

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaesner View Post
There's 25 pages in the RAVE on the blower controls and how to trouble shoot them - you should do some reading

Good luck!
Thanks, I was in the process of downloading it when I posted that. For some reason, it was taking forever to download.

Quote:
I dont either.
Have you checked the RAVE repair manual?
Its a free download.
See above, I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihscouts View Post
In the Rave it has all the relays, inline fuses, solenoids and narrative. It has wire diagrams, location tables and pictures where everything is located. Depending on how you have your Adobe Acrobat Reader set up the Rave can be very easy to use. Forward and Back buttons, Page Up and Page Down buttons and a Search box with "Find Previous" and "Find Next" buttons helps. I used to be a Unix server admin, electrical shop forman and years of military electronics training so I have all the tools anyone could want.

I believe you'll want to check an inline fuse (blade type like what's under the dash in the main fuse panel). It's located in the wire loom in back of the blower motor. It's 10A and it's for the air recirculation solenoid which activates a damper.

If you have the black cardboard facia mounted under the passenger side of the dash it's above that so you'll have to remove the facia.

Hope that kinda helps....
Quite a bit, I'll start looking around for that fuse, then go from there.

I love this forum, you guys are quite helpful!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Throwing Money at It

Turned out to be a bad Ignition Load Relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.