Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Info and pics of Trek 1996 Please.

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  saharatj98 
#1 ·
I bought number 4 and am looking for all the documentation I can find. It is confirmed by LRNA as Trek number 4 and used for Camel Selections before being sold in April of 1997 to the same owner I bought it from. Information and pictures of the trucks and event is very scarce. As it was used for selections, the door decals were removed as well as the blacked out name blocks on the front fenders and rear doors and the Trek text on the hood logo. I will leave it this way as this was the last livery it had when LRNA owned it. Number 4 was also the cover and feature truck for Autoweek magazine Novemeber 4th 1996, I have this issue. I am hoping someone on here also owns one of the originals and has good pictures or knows someone who does. I also heard that some have original videos the dealers used to have of the Trek competition. Invaluable info:). I will be greatful for any and all I can get. Truck is in bad shape due to the salt air on the coast but I took the risk seeing as donor trucks with blown head gaskets are a dime a dozen. I think given the history of the truck it is worth preserving.

See less See more
#2 ·
OMG! I thought that truck was gonna be disassembled and rebuilt on a new chassis/body.

Good luck with it, looks like a big project (even to me!).

#3 ·
That's not so bad. Looks like every Toyota truck in my part of the country. If you're a skilled welder with some free time you should get it looking sweet soon enough. The interior looks pretty good. How's the driveline?

#6 ·
No, but thanks anyway. That's Tom Collin's truck I think. This doesn't have the Sandglow paint or the roll cage. It's just a Trek with some minor decal changes for selections. I have an email out to Charles Hughes who was President of LRNA when this all occured. He actually worked pretty close with this as Trek was his baby and his marketing strategy quadrupled Land Rover sales in just two years... Kris Van Nest who drove on the 1997 event told me it looked like one of the trucks but could not confirm that it was one. I'm trying to find contact details for Tom Collins as Kris told me he should have records still of all of the events. Bob Burns is invisable on the web so no luck there. The selling dealer told the buyer this info and it had these decals on it at the time of sale. He later met Charles Hughes at an event and he confirmed the information.

#5 ·
I won't know how bad it is until I get it in another week or two. I guess it runs good, it's been maintained and kept clean other than the elements eating at it. Has recent cats, brakes and rotors all around, front shocks and stabilizer. I'm not worried about the mechanical stuff too much. I'm worried that the state of the sills may mean the floor pans outboard of the frame rails are close to shot too. My 98 is undercoated, but no idea if that is stock or from the factory or if they did that on the earlier ones. I am surprised though that the tail light guards, rear bumper and rack are good, these rust here first before anything else so I am hoping there is a chance it's localized where the tire spray was concentrated. Chassis is supposed to be solid. Either case I've got it and it's complete. If I need to swap a frame or body the parts are really cheap. I see D1s with blown heads for a couple hundred bucks with rust free straight shells or at the copart salvage auctions with very light collision damage. It's an extremely rare truck and represents the begining of LRNA lifestyle marketing and has competition history. May be a lot of work, but it shouldn't be scrapped. If it were me, I would have done something to stop the rust when it first appeared or kept religeous on rinsing it after winter driving, but he didn't...Truck like that should have been looked after better... I'm expecting about a case of PB Blaster and a lot of beer to save this thing. When it's done it will be well worth it I think.:drink1:

#8 ·
172k... Doesn't really matter because I will be going through the whole thing. I have 205k on my 98 LSE and it's been a great car but it's been well looked after too. The mechanical stuff doesn't bother me, it's the rust I have to repair without disturbing the outer panels. No idea why the guy did not get on it when the rust first started appearing. Probably would have had a 10 or 15k truck had it been rust free. I see 1997 XDs go for 10k now when they can be found when only a few years ago they were about the same as any other D1... Market is still really soft too. I didn't buy it for an investment, but a project to preserve the history. It's a shame such a rare truck was left outside to rot. My area is not dry, but we do not salt the roads. My 98 has zero rust so once it's fixed it should last a very long time. I'll have it out to the shows and events so others can enjoy it too.

#9 ·
#10 ·
beautiful truck! I've been around 109's and 110's.... Difference is everything unbolts. D1 is a monocoque body so it has a stamped steel framework with aluminum panels. Not only do you have the complexities of basically unit body, but also a dissimilar metal annealed to it... Expensive to build this way and also why panel gaps and such were so inconsistent. tolerance stack ups in the structure combined with variances in the annealing process of the panels. D2 is worlds better in this area thanks to BWW money and new tooling. Still prefer the coach built feel of the D1 though just like the RRC.

#11 ·

there is the steel skeleton....

#13 ·
Spike, Def go for the Mantec snorkel. I put one on my D2 and it is a good piece of kit... I never cared for the plastic Safari snorkels that run down the outside of the fender anyway, look tacked on, which they are. Mantec looks like it came new with it and it is supposed to be there. I am also pretty biased on Old Man Emu. I've run them on my Jeeps and they are about the best you can get for Rovers. Discovery and LR3 lift kit, suspension lifts, accessories at the lowest prices. is the cheapest place to get OME suspension kits. I may try a Supergaz or Britpart lift just to try something different on my D1, but def not putting some American or Chineese kit on a British truck. Just my opinion. OME will be a little firmer, but the dampning is better and it soaks up everything very nice. I used a Rubicon Express on a Cherokee I had and it about rattled my teeth out. That was a premium kit at the time too. Again, it was a Heep so they do not ride as nice as the Rovers anyway.

#14 ·
Hi
I just purchased this exact truck a couple of weeks ago.
Mine has 147K miles, Old Man Emu shocks, Rovertym springs, Pro Comp 265/75-16 tires and absolute no rust whatsoever.
I was told that there were 7 of these trucks made for the US market.
That said, I would appreciate any info concerning the history of these Discovery's.
Thanks !

#15 ·
There were 10 used for the 1996 Trek competition and 28 used for the 1996 Eco Challenge in Canada. All of these trucks were a batch of XD promo trucks Bob Burns of LRNA ordered. All were AA yellow and registered as SD models. After all of the photo shoots and various accessories added, they were divied up and set up for their respective tasks. The Treks were 5 speeds, had winch boxes and brushbars, full decal kit ect. The Eco Challenge trucks only had a brush bar and roof rack as they were only used for support roles for the foot race and not an offroad challenge. I have talked to Bob Burns and Tom Collins at length about the events and have some pictures from Nick Dimblebee and Chris VanNest I can forward you. My email is c_prowse2001@yahoo.com

These Treks were not built by Special Vehicles as the later ones were but LRNA can confirm your vin... I have all of my documentation. Truck was initially registered to LRNA in Maryland before being sold on to the one owner I bought it from. The headquarters is now in NewJersey. Which one did you find? I have no idea how many are left, but there were only 10 from the start and 4 were used for the Camel Trophy Team USA selections. I can verify 1 and 4 were, not sure what the other 2 were. Mine was used for the event, Autoweek ran it through the course and then it was sent to Colorado for the selections. Congrats on the special truck:) I look forward to talking to you soon. The 1997 XD that LRNA ordered 250 of to commemorate the trek event were only appearance packages. All were automatics and had no roof rails with the lower version of the roof rack now available. Your Trek should have the high version.
Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.