Key Wont Turn - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Key Wont Turn

Ok so apparently my rover wonít crank, actually the key wonít even turn. I actually went on a trip and took my momís Subaru so Iím not with the truck but my parents are frustrated and I want to get an opinion on what yall think the issue is and anything I could try before they go paying someone to do something. So basically as I understand it, when they went out to crank it one evening it acted like the key wouldnít turn and the steering wheel was locked up. I donít know how to describe this exactly but itís happened to a few vehicles Iíve driven, and people have told me itís happened to them before. Usually they finally get it to work by turning the steering wheel back and forth and fighting with it for a while until the key turns. At first this is what my parents thought it was but they fought with it and tried for a few hours by now probably as I understand it and it wonít turn. Theyíve decided that this is not one of those normal occasional times, but rather that somethingís broken. Theyíve talked to a locksmith and the dealership and they suggest that the ignition is bad and needs replacing. If this is the case then thatís that, but I want to be as sure as possible that it needs to be replaced before I go spending this money. What do yall think? Any suggestions? Theyíve fiddled with the key and steering wheel in every way possible. What else?

Thanks, Dane
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 03:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a similar problem, although not quite as severe, where I can turn the truck off but the key won't turn the last notch letting me pull it out completely.

I've found out this only happens when I park on the uneven gravel section of the driveway, on a slight slope and with the tires at different heights because of the bumps. the truck goes into park but it's like it doesn't go all the way and holds on to the key as if it was still on. Usually releasing the brake pedal and letting the truck settle completely and shifting a bit from Neutral to Park helps it "settle" and the key comes right out.

Dunno if this is what's afflicting your Disco but beware the dealer saying your ________ is broken, it'll cost you more than your truck probably did to fix
Ben Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

same thing happened to me and many others. The ignition switches are junk and after reviewing the previous records, my disco is on it's third ignition. I pulled mine out and removed most of the tumblers ( so it would work with my door key) and removed the steering lock and the annoying push in feature. Works like a charm now and there is nothing inside except the three tumblers to ever worry about.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Common problem, been happening on mikne and off for 3 years. For a quick fix try tapping the end of the lock with a small hammer being carefull not to hit the plastic light ring. This usually frees mine up
Roverdisco98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Its fixed! I got it fixed it yesturday, before then i had just been driving with the ignition lock removed and just turning the switch manually. I took it totally apart (all plastics removed) so i could hit it real good with the hammer. This freed it up eventually and then i soaked it with wd40 and hit it some more and now it turns just like new! thanks for the help yall!

Dane
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

if same problems occur try to look for a locksmith if ever the key won’t even turn.
ellainepepito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here's an inexpensive DIY repair for that...

ignition lock fix - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum
Ed Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

mine is hard to turn everysoo often i just wiggle the steering wheel back and forth whileist turning the key wiggeling that too and they both freeup and work. not a real big issue with my right now its the fuel pump wires.
azazelcrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
'97 D1 SE, '05 LR3

i breathe deep 10 seconds, wiggle the steering wheel, open and close drivers door, jiggle auto gear selector, remove-reinsert key and focus all my mental energy on a smooth key turn. works about half the time.

'97 Disco SE
'05 LR3
bakjar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.