Keyless entry swap discovery1 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keyless entry swap discovery1

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to swap a entire keyless entry system from a 1996 disco to a 1998 disco without having any trouble and without reprogramming? I have a working keyless entry on the 1996 both fobs work without any issues but my much nicer 1998 disco does not have key fobs at all I would just like to swap the whole system but I am scared I will screw something up and have to pay Land Rover to reprogram things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really no one out there can tell me how to do this????
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Doubtful. I know the alarm boxes have to be synced with the ECU. As far as I recall much or all of the keyless entry is controlled in the alarm "black box"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply Shifty, hope the guy comes back to follow up.

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Wouldn't necessarily be a straight swap due to the fact that your '98 has the Advanced Evap System where as you're '96 does not. You would likely wind up with a perpetual CEL on the dash. This may or may not be an issue for you. I don't know if this would cause a default limp mode where you would see diminished performce and gas mileage. Beyond that, short of finding a shop that has a Land Rover dedicated diagnostic computer for your DI (nanocom, hawkeye, ect) you're stuck with the dealer. The GEMS system was not as shadetree friendly as the 14CUX system.

Classic Rovers

203-770-1699
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1 View Post
Doubtful. I know the alarm boxes have to be synced with the ECU. As far as I recall much or all of the keyless entry is controlled in the alarm "black box"
"green box" on GEMS trucks. The Lucas 10AS alarm module is that green box on the flip down panel behind the glove box. The 14CUX used the Lucas 17VT black alarm module located in the same position.

For the original poster, 14CUX was the fuel injection system used on 1994 and 1995 model year Discovery's. In 1996 Land Rover began using the GEMS injection system which was much more linked to the 10AS module than the earlier system.

Classic Rovers

203-770-1699
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Wounded Knee Moderator

There was a Russian on LRF that cobbled together a T4, he said it was somewhat common on the black market to find all the dongles,doodads and software. Very hard to find shops over there that work on GEMS trucks apparently..... I know that's a bit off topic but if there is a will, there is a way.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
or take the easy route...

https://www.amazon.com/Viper-3105V-1...+keyless+entry

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
716-898-8153

Have a DII you need a drive shaft click here

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

GPS tracking too! Watch my vehicle enter the Conex as it sets sail for China....... You know, IMHO I would rather whack a finger with a hammer then try to marry an aftermarket alarm to a Rover. I can't even keep the tail lights lit in summertime weather.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I got you covered

Car Electronics Professional Installation - Best Buy

They seriously did the keyless install, remote start and alarm on my 1991 RRC and that damn thing was possessed

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
716-898-8153

Have a DII you need a drive shaft click here

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:21 AM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Bada Bing Bada Boom. DrDisco777 if your still out there? You have a winner, winner, possessed chicken dinner.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.