loose steering at the steering box 98 disco - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default loose steering at the steering box 98 disco

i got tons of slack in my steering box at the end of the steering column. i have 11 o'clock to 1oclock play at the box with no response on the arm. i read somewhere that you were able to adjust the steering box somehow, also able to disasemble them to check for internal wear. just wonderng if somebody could give me a rundown of how to adjust the box or if its even possible before i go ripping it apart. any other thoughts on the matter would also be apreciated.
DiscoPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Land Rover Tech

Yes they are adjustable. I have done one before but it was a brand new vehicle. Does your steering have slack only when the wheels are straight or does it also have slack after you turn the wheels all the way right and left. If the box is out of adjustment it will be loose at all steering positions. If the box gets looser and tighter than you will have a very worn steering box and would be easier just to replace it with a reman unit.
aachour83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

ya it has slack at all times, seems to have just started in last few months its a 2 hour turn of the wheel to get it to go any direction whether strait or or when counter turning. also seems to have developed a sort of loud humming noise when the engine revs gonna look into this weekend also.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

rave manual show the adjustment off the box for steering backlash, thats exact opposite of my problem i think. it says tighten bolt down to remove backlash, so do i need to loose it to add backlash?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Hard time steering straight

Hi my name is Moses and I was in need of a car and someone showed up with a 97 Discovery and I’m have a hard time keeping it straight. It has new tires, so the tire pressure is good. I still haven’t looked at the tie rods and I’m guessing it’s going to be the steering gear box. Is there a repair kit for steering gear boxes, or is that something I can adjust. I’m a fan of Land Rovers and now I got one and looking what direction to go.
moeana714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.