A"MUST Read For Anyone Who is About to Repair Head Gaskets or a Valve Train Noise - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM
EC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Good read Mike - excellent info

Note to "Sam3" - re: your attached thumb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr Phil copy.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	27915  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Good read Mike - excellent info

Note to "Sam3" - re: your attached thumb

04 Disco-stock
Black on Black
Front DS Complete, 3rd water pump, 90K Service Done (133k now), Bosch P2's, STI 8mm's, Valv. 75/140 syn., Rotella 15w/40, K&N Oil Filter,265/65 Long Trail TA's on on Rover 16's coated Black and the rest is yet to come! Now featuring New Head Gaskets!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Always wanted one and now I got one'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think my wife cries about my rover more then my Rover cries for itself!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 AM
1995 Discovery

Head Gasket blown

Thanks Mike!!

My Disco just blew one of the headgaskets so this is great info. I have the shop manual and the CD for it, just haven't had a good chance to go through it yet. My greatest fear right now is if any of the liners have slipped. If any have or there is any damage I am condsidering a 97-98 RR HSE 4.6 transplant. I'm going to search through the forums for any info on this conversion and even more info on blown head gasket issue.
Thanks again for the link.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Location: why do the english drink warm beer? they use lucas refridgerators.
Garage
Winter blues...

I re-referred to the article, minus the litigations of a few months back , converted to PDF , beings the iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone can function as a realtime bluetooth OBDII reader/PDF reader , video/images/sound/web, viewer, its become a shop tool , laptops were never suited well , but being able to view the Rave manual, instantly look at realtime obd displays,clear codes , then switch back to a video of a valley pan gasket replacement, great tool for the garage, very very tough for garage abuse...
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Disco Mike knows all, Questions

First of all I will read your post info on valve train.

Hi Folks,

I have a 1997 Disco SD with a GEMS motor with 158,xxx miles on it. Same ol' comments, I am getting the tapping in the morning when cold then it goes away when warm or if the RPM's are increased. But the tapping comes back indicitave of bad oil pressure. Performance obviously is crap and feels like the lifters or something has collapsed in the valve train. Truck has a new fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail clean, battery, alternator, computer, plugs, wires, coil banks, air filter, MAF etc, etc.

I am getting ready to tear it down and had a couple/few+ questions.

1. Pretty sure the piston sleeves are not slipping How do you test? (Visual?) Carbon pattern should be uniform at the TDC for each piston.

2. If the oil sump pickup is loose, which may cause bad oil pressure, Is there a better one to buy other than stock? along with fasteners etc.

3. Camshaft, If worn, where can I get a good perfomance Cam with better lift and duration?

4. Lifters, I can get a set set of replacements from my local junk auto parts store but wondered if anyone has tried a roller setup in these motors?

5. Rockers, do they fall out of tollerance normally from 150K wear? get sloppy etc.

6. Engine sludge in passageways, does it make sense to do some kind of seafoam exercise before tearing it down? I am planning on dropping the pan and will have it cleaned sandblasted and painted before install.

7. Headbolts and gasket kits, ARP? or what is the best "Quality" set of replacements for not only the "foo foo" gaskets but the best metallic head gaskets.

8. And last, Heads? who does the best job for a rebuild? I have a local guy that says he knows what is what... but I am looking for someone that has been around the block and has done a three angle valve job with quality stems and valves if needed, in addition to seals and all the other goodies.

I am planning on keeping my rig long term and was curious, if given the money based on my situation would be ideal, in your opinions. I have built many GM motors and wondered what was/is compatible. It seems to me that the rover power plant is based off the buick 231 only made lighter in aluminum form and wondered what fits?

Sorry for the book report but I am planning on dropping a fair amount of time and money into this thing and want to get it right!

Scott
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:17 PM

Mine ended up being a missing rocker arm tip, last one at back of engine pass side and it was loud, $11 fix

My 98 disco thread

06 LR3 HSE

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:45 PM
'97 D1 SE, '05 LR3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihscouts View Post
I use my cellphone too, wouldn't you know!

You typed three hundred and ten words, two words capitalized, zero excuses.

Priceless.

You are not fit for duty soldier.
lil scouts is kind of dbag material huh? he must know everything. then why is he on here?

"Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence."
Buddha

'97 Disco SE
'05 LR3
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakjar View Post
lil scouts is kind of dbag material huh? he must know everything. then why is he on here?
Helping those who don't have the high IQ I do oh T-Bagged one. Site still sucks balls and you have made your wonderful contribution to prove my point. WTF do you know, do anything useful with it, nah.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please!
Dudley Do-Right of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police here.

This petty squabbling won't lead us to the land of LandRover Enlightenment!
Let's remember back in Primary School when Miss Fenwick, our teacher, taught us how to get along.... yes, extend those cyber hands now...

What was this thread about?

---------------------
Visit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.