Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

New Radio install in 98 Disco

24K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  TK1991 
#1 ·
Hi forum,
I just got my Land Rover and haven't been able to get my radio to work at all, I'm supposed to be able to punch in a code (a code which I don't even have) and the radio doesn't do anything. So I'm really thinking I'm going to just buy a new one. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good affordable one, I'm all ears. I'm getting really sick of the sound of my singing in the car. I appreciate any and all suggestions! :)

#2 ·
I just went to Best Buy and had them install the stereo I picked out, that was almost 5 years ago.
I let them do it all so it was done right, worth it to me.
But you can take your truck to the dealer and they can unlock your stereo and give you the code.

I have a Kenwood deck, I want a different unit, one that matches better the color of the dash lights.

#3 ·
i second calling the dealer. when i got my disco i too had a locked stereo, called the local dealer and was given the radio code in exchange for the vin number. moths later i was goiong through the owerns manual and low and behold found a note in the back, it was the radio code. lesson check your owers manual!

#5 ·
The stereo is just numbers, either 4 or 5 I forget.
When it says "CODE" you enter the numbers, just by pressing the numbers on the stereo and then I think you have to hit one other button but look it up in the manual.

TK-where are you located and/or from?

#6 ·
Here is what I bought: Amazon.com: JVC KD-HDR60 USB/CD Receiver with HD Radio Tuner and iTunes Tagging: Car Electronics
Best Buy has the exact same one but its $150.00 I took the unit to Best Buy and they installed it for $60.00 make sure you get the right wire harness from them. You also need an antenna adapter. The adapter for the three plugs is item number: Metra 70-0400 Then sku number 08642911531 The cover plate is: Mentra 89-9400 sku number 086429123772. You need a cover plate to make it look good. Its the difference between a 2 din and 1 din. I don't remember which is bigger.

#10 ·
Here is what I bought: Amazon.com: JVC KD-HDR60 USB/CD Receiver with HD Radio Tuner and iTunes Tagging: Car Electronics
Best Buy has the exact same one but its $150.00 I took the unit to Best Buy and they installed it for $60.00 make sure you get the right wire harness from them. You also need an antenna adapter. The adapter for the three plugs is item number: Metra 70-0400 Then sku number 08642911531 The cover plate is: Mentra 89-9400 sku number 086429123772. You need a cover plate to make it look good. Its the difference between a 2 din and 1 din. I don't remember which is bigger.
I bought a different unit a Dual XD1228 would the harness you suggested still work for the unit i have? and I still need an antenna adapter

#7 ·
Your code is five digits. If you don't have one, call the dealer, provide the VIN and they will give it to you. Should you find that the code does not work the cause could be that the radio is not the original unit that came from the factory. In that case, there is a serial number on the radio itself. If you provide that to the dealers they can get the code for that newer radio. If the sticker has fallen off and there are no identifiable features on the radio you are out of luck.

When putting the code into the radio, should the radio beep at any time while you are entering the code continue punching in the numbers, wait a few minutes and try again. If you are still having difficulty leave the ignition key in the on position for about a half hour and try again. Sometimes these radios can be very finicky.
Good luck,
Paul

#11 ·
The stereo wire harness is specific to the stereo that you buy, for example a Pioneer harness may not work with a Sony stereo.

#12 ·
Ok I had purchased the metra 70-9400 and the antenna adapter I hooked it all up but am left with a bunch of wires not going to anything and not all of my speakers are able to get sound out of them because there are only two jacks on the back of the radio I bought. I am also getting this static high pitched buzz coming from the right passenger door speaker. I will attach a few pictures so you all can see what I'm looking at (because it just look like a jumbled mess of wires to me, unfortunately). I would greatly appreciate some advice :D

Attachments

#13 ·
Looks like your head unit doesn't have 4 channel preamp output. You are not sending the correct input to the amp. You can turn your speaker level outputs into pre-amp outputs with an adapter, then plug your harness into the adapter. You will likely have unused wires from the factory harness. This might help:
1998 Land Rover Discovery Wiring Information

#15 ·
That's usually a ground issue. Check the grounds on the head unit and the amps. Also, splitting the preamp outputs isn't the best for the sound and may be causing some noise also.

#17 ·
You need to add a line output converter to make the head unit you have work. That changes your speaker outputs to preamp outputs so you can connect to your factory amp. You would be better off looking for the noise through checking the grounds. If that doesn't work, try the converter approach. By the way, how is your head unit set up? Is the preamp (rca) output on the rear or front channels only? If so, you may only need to add the converter on the other channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.