LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Offrovn... It started

Okay guys,

IT STARTED!!!

Now, I have a NEW problem...It started in 3 seconds, BUT the idle speed ran away to 2500 RPMs and with NO oil pressure I shut it right down...I started it again and it started right up and it ran away again...It ran for 5 seconds and still no oil pressure. I know that is kind of short to expect oil pressure, but I am not sure how the pump gets it oil from a dry start, seeing as how it is above the oil line???? I put about a half quart of oil down the oil sender switch galley then installed the switch, trying to get some oil in the pump BEFORE I tried starting the engine.

I checked my TPS (throttle Position Sensor) and it shows 21.5% at rest and cycles up through to full at 92.8%

I checked the TPS in my quest days ago, for the no start issue, and had the same readings.

ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Just because you can afford to BUY a Land Rover...Doesn't mean you can afford to OWN a Land Rover...."BEND ROVER"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Crank it with the fuel pump main fuse pulled and same for coil relay. Just turn it over until your sure you have oil pressure. Check throttle cable, slack it so no tension.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
If you lubed the pump pretty well, it will draw oil from the pan. The pickup isn't that far below the oil pump. It's still a good idea to crank it a bit.

I'd look around and double-check for anything that would give you an intake leak and I'd also look to see that the throttle body is closing all the way.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys....will do! Trying to beat ANOTHER approaching storm...

Will check in later...OF COURSE IT COULDN'T BE EASY, RIGHT?

Just because you can afford to BUY a Land Rover...Doesn't mean you can afford to OWN a Land Rover...."BEND ROVER"

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Wounded Knee Moderator

It is easy for anyone else....... at least you know it'll fire.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Okay, the idle speed is corrected...tension on the throttle cable fixed, Thanks Scout.

Hey Scout, I would like to meet the guy in his fifties who finds it easy to pull the oil sender switch from a lifted disco....perpetual sit-ups are no longer easy ..LOL!

EDIT:

Oil pressure is OKAY the lifters came back one-by-one and it quieted down EXCEPT for ONE lifter....

So, all said and done the crankshaft position sensor or, more than likely, the wiring to the CkPS was the culprit of the NO-START issue....

Now, I have a running truck with a bad lifter.....FAAAAAAq

Thank you allllllll, FOR YOUR HELP....!!!!!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

My questions to you are; Did you pack the gear rotor and what with? It should take less than 15 seconds to pull oil from a dead dry engine. If you didn't pack the pump or it was with Vaseline or red grease then it's gonna take a long time to get it moving. Next time use assembly lube if you didn't this time. Again, rotate the motor without it starting, you can do 10 second shots on the starter without killing it. It's better than a motor rotating at cold idle around 1200 rpm zipping whats left of lifters which is another point. The lifters have probably drained off by now so even with oil pressure they make take a few.

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Oil light is less than 8 psi. Start the motor, let it idle a few and then goose it quick, do that a couple of times.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Scout, liberal amounts of assembly lube (very much like light red grease LOL)

"She" came online...ALL GOOD. one lifter is still being a bit lazy...I have NOT brought her up to temperature as there is no coolant in her at this time...
When the lifters started coming back online, except that last one that is halfway back, I shut her down and decided to refill the coolant. by then it was pouring rain on me... I hooked up my coolant vacuum filler and it failed the vacuum test....By then I was too cold and WET to start looking for a small coolant system leak....ALL hoses and clamps on the entire coolant system are new, so I have to methodically go over it, one by one, and find the one that isn't snug enough....NOT in the cold rain....

See what happens when I try to pray???? LOL!!! It's better than bursting into flames, I guess...? LOL!

BTW: I can see the edge of the woods from here.....I stopped looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, because with my luck it would be a train!!!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

You're headed in the right direction..... finally!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

In a nutshell:
During the initial compression test, I unwittingly laid my LIVE spark plug wires down and commenced cranking my engine.
The errant spark impulses, finding their way to ground (earth for you Brits and Aussies, LOVE ya!) , through heat fatigued wire insulation, ZAPPED my Crankshaft Position Sensor (CkPS)….
That caused the ‘NO-START” condition, that sent me down the road to insanity…..
My lack of model specific knowledge caused me to make mistakes. With the help and PATIENCE of the wonderful participants here on this forum, I got my truck started and in the process did a bunch of work that resulted in me finding the cause of my power loss that made me do the exploratory compression test in the first place. The wire worked its way off my #7 fuel injector! That is now fixed and my truck works better than it did before and I now can realize the performance gain from my recent injector replacement surgery.
Also, on the bright side, ALL of my oil leaks have now been resolved…ALL OF THEM!!! My truck runs beautifully and it is sparkling clean and drip free!!! A ONE OF A KIND Land Rover!!! LOL

Thanks again, guys!

Repectfully,
Tom

p.s. I truly mean it, if anyone that helped me finds their way out to Utah (Moab, Canyonlands NP etc.) and would like a guide or just some good advice on how to get the most out of your adventure, let me know and I will pull out all the stops and do my damnedest to help you out!!!
redtruck12 likes this.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Amen!

Glad it worked out better than.

Keep On Truck'n.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
On my mechanical gauge tied in at the oil filter adapter, it takes over
20 seconds to reach 40lbs pressure under a natural idle, nose pointing
slightly downward in driveway. If I'm nose up in the driveway, it takes
longer to reach 40lbs.........I never park nose up any more and by no
means is it a steep grade, rather gentle actually. Just a thought & share.

I was warned, did it anyway......97 Disco STD7..

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Yes- the Rover doesn't like to be parked facing up a grade of much more than barely noticeable. Freaked me out the first time- I thought I lost an engine- a new engine at that.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Aaaaaand, of course, my drive is uphill. I routinely park facing uphill and have for 15 years..... )c:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.