Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Pressure Wash under hood

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  marcnat 
#1 ·
New owner of a very used 1998 Disco. Previous owner neglected a leaky valve cover and oil was everywhere. Got the gaskets changed, but wanted to clean the oil off the engine and compartment. Drove it to a local car wash and used high pressure to clean under the hood. I went to start it up, it ran for about 3 sec and cut off. Can't get it to start at all. Turns over, just sounds like it has no fire. Help.

#2 ·
something in your ignition system got wet. Once it dries out it'll probably be fine.

Pressure washing under the hood usually leads to this.

#3 ·
I am in South Carolina where the high today was 81. I washed it around noon, and I figured that I probably got something wet. I pushed it to a parking lot where there was a lot of sun hoping that heat genterated would dry it out. Do you think it would take longer?

#4 ·
no idea dude...don't pressure wash your engine, unless you're doing a rebuild in your driveway and are taking the whole thing apart...

a damp rag + a drying rag and a little hands on wiping will do the job everytime. you can be as delicate and as rough as you need to be by hand to clean an engine bay.

#5 ·
on my Range, I learned this the hard way. for me I found that there is a signal wire on the coil to let the ecm open the fuel when spark is present. on my Classic I think it was a black wire with white stripe. whenever p/washing now, I always avoid the dist and the coil.

#6 ·
A D1, unlike a D2 can be washed but you have to stay way from the ECU, get it wet and it may be days before it is dry enoughtto restart. Don't force it to start, let the ECU dry out then you should be fine.
For the D2's, they love water, I power scrub mine after every trail with no side effects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.