Syptoms of bad torque converter? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
TJ Nasty!

Gallery: 0
Default Syptoms of bad torque converter?

What kind of symtoms would i be experiencing if my torque converter is saying goodbye??
-Eractic shifting?
-only shifting when car is warmed up?
-not shifting into 4th?

-Or does this sound like new tranny time?
Jahmusac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

what dose the tranny fluid look like ? is it burnt looking ? or red color ? how many miles ?? off road much ? is it slipping ? is it low on fluid ? do you drive it hard ? do you let the car warm up, at all , before taking off ? it could be both things . i would check fluids first . then have trany looked at...... good luck.........
2000 Discovery-2 SD ...2 in OME 763 and 779 springs factory roof rail extensions , flat rack with 500ff's,hella 500's, .. new heads and head gasket . power steering pump , water pump . 265/75R16 guard dogs
roverich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
TJ Nasty!

well it doesnt drive at all any more. it wont even shift into any gear. The tranny fluid looked the normal red color. i off roaded it time to time but nothing to hard on the car. i used to let it warm up before taking off but i live in the desert so thats not an issue i think. It has 180000 miles on it. i noticed the fluid level looked too high. i never filled it up before that. but i took it to some ghetto jiffy lube for an oil change(which ill never do again). then 15 min later the rover wouldnt go anywhere after sitting at a stop light. it just reved up in drive. i think they might have filled the tranny fluid too much without me telling them to. they told me theres a lot of leaks that i knew of already. but prior to that oil change that day my tranny was shifting in and out of differnt gears. now its been sitting for 9 months in my drive way so i got a 95 range classic in the meantime which i love. i replaced the trans fluid with some lucas trans fix and trans fluid then it almost shifted into reverse but no go(i heard the smack it usually made when shifting into reverse). i miss my disco.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

Are sure it is not the transfer case. Try moving in low range. Also try difflock in and out
p76rangie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
TJ Nasty!

the transfer case never shifted into low since i bought the car. it would go into diff lok though.There is fluid in the transfer case as well. the transfer case had alot of "smack!" when shifting into reverse i thought maybe the input or output splines were worn but that wouldnt make the car shift oddly like it did. would it? ill jump start it again tommorow and try diff lok with reverse and see what happens.
Thanks guys!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

It is a bit late now that you do not have any drive, but the easiest way to test the torque convertor is to put in drive, put you foot hard on the brakes and try revving it up to around 2,000 rpm. If it starts to die/stall at 2,000 rpm, your torque convertor should be OK. Don't hold the revs there too long though as it can overheat the convertor.
p76rangie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

its strange that it happened 15 minuets after you left a jiffy lube. I dont trust them, one time they put the wrong oil in my 96 d1 then swore he dident do it but he still had the oil nozzel in his hand.. i still go there but i stand right there and watch them do everything . just fluids i dont let them vacume or even clean the windows . i let them change a brake light bulb whene i first got my truck and they messed that up by not putting the housing bracket back on . whene i got hohe , the tail light was hanging out be the wires. i went back there and chewed them a new one. they HATE seeing me come in. hahahahahahaha
2000 Discovery-2 SD ...2 in OME 763 and 779 springs factory roof rail extensions , flat rack with 500ff's,hella 500's, .. new heads and head gasket . power steering pump , water pump . 265/75R16 guard dogs
roverich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.