Transmission Fluid Replacement - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: After a Trans. fluid change, what were your results?
Positive - still running strong 18 94.74%
Negative - please explain... 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 15
Default Transmission Fluid Replacement

So, although I've asked questions and feel pretty confident about changing the fluid, I want that last bit of peace of mind.

Of the people who have changed their transmission fluid/filter or had it done by a dealer/mechanic, please vote above if you've had positive or negative results. Those with negative results, please post what they were.

Thanks in advance.

1996 Discovery SE - The Blue Marlin
1965 Series IIa 109 RHD 2.25L Dsl - Wilks

1965 Series IIa 88' LHD 2.25L Petrol - Fionna
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Goofing off in the great white north.

Gallery: 1

I'd just go ahead and do it. The filter will trap most of the crud that build up over time. As long as your seals are ok and not disintegrating you shouldn't have enough crud in there to worry about clogging your valves. If you really want to be safe you could always do 2 flushes, the idea being that the first will dislodge the crud, then it will be flushed out by the new fluid. Then just change it again and you'll be all set. I reccomend the method I posted in the other thread, it was super easy, just a little more involved than an engine oil change.

1969 Series IIA 88" Pickup
1972 Series III 88" SW
1983 Series III 109" V8 SW
1997 Discovery XD
1998 BMW F650 Funduro
AAXD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Gallery: 0

I have mine done once a year regardless of mileage and have never experienced any negatives in doing so.

YMMV
tcpfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Transmission fluid, when new is a excellent cleaner. It is chuck full of detergents.

Inside your transmission are paper gaskets, rubber seals, brake pad like friction material, and such.

As a transmission ages, it goes through many hot and cold cycles from use and enviornment. The paper and rubber gets brittle inside the transmission.

Used transmission fluid doesn't clean as well the same as when you wash dishes in a sink. The soap gets dirty and doesn't clean as well.

The problem comes in when you indroduce new, fresh fluid. It cleans away the clutch material and, sometimes, the brittle gaskets and seals inside the transmission. This can cause internal hemroging(Sp?) causing the transmission fluid to go where it isnt needed. Automatic transmissions work on directing fluid, under pressure, to engage gears. Internal fluid leaks bleed off needed pressure and the transmission gives up.

Now that you are scared, let me tell you the good.

The ZF transmissions used in Land Rovers are some of the most stout transmissions I have seen. Usually, I see these types of failures in Domestic products, as they are build "Just good enough".

Smart money is on changing you fluid often on any auto trans... Help keep the fluids detergetnts fresh.

On a Discovery, i would have no problem flushing it.... They are hard core enough to take it.... And, if it kills the trans, frankly, it was on its last leg anyways.

Good reading.
http://www.mightyautoparts.com/pdf/articles/tt107.pdf
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gallery: 15

Chris, thanks! Good post.

I'm doin in. Not this weekend, but the following, and I'll see if I can manage to make a photo documentary.

1996 Discovery SE - The Blue Marlin
1965 Series IIa 109 RHD 2.25L Dsl - Wilks

1965 Series IIa 88' LHD 2.25L Petrol - Fionna
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kiwi Lady Disco

Hi Guys,

I don't think it is too late, but any way, I am experience this problem right now in my Disco 1995, TDI automatic.

I bought this car 8 months ago and when I sent it to service the transmission, the car became worst than ever. I am loosing power in the uphill, the gears are not engaging properly and the dipstick is pumping off and spilting fluid everywhere.

Please, can someone tell me that I don't have to put a new transmission in the Disco??? I spent a good money servicing the car and if I have to change the transmission is just geting more expensive than the car value.

I don't want to loose all my money, I am traped in a dilema.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Cheeers,

Erocita.

Erocita

Kiwi Lady Disco

1995 Discovery TDI
2002 Defender 110 TDI
1997 Harley Davidson Fat Boy
erocita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Check your fluid level, cold. Start and shift thru Park to Low and back, check level on dipstick. Sounds as if it is overfilled.
96 Disco, 96 P38
Jagfixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.