Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Trouble after Head gasket replacement Code P1316 and oil light on

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  titodj 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone I just found this forum trying to research the oil light and the fault codes on my Disco 98.

I got it very cheap, a couple of weeks ago, with a blown head gasket.
I just finished replacing the head gasket and it took a little bit to get it started, after idling for about 15 minutes while bleeding the cooling system, I noticed that the Oil light was still on, and I got a check engine light with code P1316 and the P0300 code "Pending"

(Please excuse me if I ask something stupid, although I'm handy, I don't know mechanics, and this is my first shot at an engine)

While reading all over about the P1316, I found that should look at cables, coils and plugs as common sources of this code, the plugs look decent when I installed, but I did not check the gaps, so I will do that, I read that the cables should have around 7k Ohms per foot so I will check that too.
But one thing that caught my attention particularly, was a video on youtube (I know is not the code or a land rover) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvdWeyDHf4
Now, the thing is that the guy who sold me the LR, gave me a brand new gas filter and said he never got to replace the old one, I'm guessing, maybe he had the problem before the blown gasket, my question is should I do the filter? Does that make sense?
Is it worth to buy one of those gages to check the fuel pressure?

Now, on the other hand, I'm worried about the Oil light, that wont come OFF, I know that it has enough oil, and a brand new filter, but I can't find information on how to troubleshoot that issue. (I don't want to mess the engine while trying to fix something else)

Thanks in advance for your comments or ideas.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't see how the oil light illumination has much to do with the ignition system or the fuel filter, but heaven only knows.... there could be some electronic tie in.
Dealing with the oil light is the important task here. Is there a place where an external oil pressure gauge can be hooked up? Its really annoying that these (high end) vehicles didn't come with a proper full set of gauges!

Concerning the pending P0300 code. Check that there isn't corrosion where the wires attach to the plugs - I've found this is common. A little emery paper will clean the corrosion up and some people say to use dielectric grease to prevent the problem coming back. I've never used that type of grease on spark plug wires.

Cheers, Pavel

#4 ·
You mention checking the fuel pressure... on our '96 Disco 1, there's a handy "Schrader valve" (just like a tire pressure valve) on the passenger side of the fuel rail. It's there so you can check the pressure with a simple tire gauge. On our Disco, the pressure should be about 30 psi when running and stay at that pressure for some time (5+ minutes?) after the engine is turned off. You might end up ruining your tire pressure gauge by subjecting it to fuel so use a $2 cheapie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.